We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Shopping at a department store

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

An advert come through the door advertising Debenhams 'Blue Cross Sale', Up to 70% off, as i needed a new pair of chino's, I went over there and found a pair that I liked the look of. I looked for the price on the ticket-not there, checked around the stand they were on, and noticed that NONE of the items had price tags or prices displayed.

I then found an assistant and asked her the price of the chino's and her reply was." Take them to the checkout and when they ring up the sale you will know the price".

To me that is unacceptable- and I walked out of the shop and bought a pair elsewhere.

What would you have done?

Terry

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Exactly the same as you did. Might also have had a few choice words to say, as well.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Staff just aren't of the same caliber as they used to be...

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Take it to the checkout and let them go through all the procedures then say " I'm not paying THAT!" and walk off.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

BT. That is the way to do it of course. What annoys me is that when I worked in pub management we had to have the prices displayed in a prominent place for the customer to see. I think that should apply to all retail establishments.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

What annoys me is that within a minute of entering a store i can feel a presence on my shoulder or worse i can see a person lock onto me like a guided missile and there is no escape except retreat.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I tend to find 'Guess the price' is becoming more popular in some places. At least in one or two places, the assistant as taken the item, and returned a short time later with the price. By that time I have decided I didn't want the item?.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Bingalau - down my local there are notices on the windows which can be read at fifty paces away (from the bus) "All pints 2.50...7 days a week".

So sensible.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Doing some digging around and it seems this is getting common practice, as very few people challenge it, just pay up.

I thought it was just a one off thing, but apparantly not.

If I come across this in future I intend to make a fuss in the shop, and if possible get the manager out to explain the shops policy.

The regulations seem to make it clear that prices should be displayed, but do not have to be.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumeraffairs/consumerprotection/pricing/pricedisplayofgoodsand_services.html

or is this symptom of the eastern curture where we are expected to haggle over prices?

Terry

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If I can't see any prices in shop windows I do not go in.

Goes back to the old days when shopping and you seen something nice in the window without a price tag and was told if you can't see the price you probably cannot afford it.

Still see the odd shops like that around and guess what I still don't go in.

That last click here does not work for me Terry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room