We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pointless additions to Forum Titles

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

I don't, very often, make comments about the Forums but:

The addition of the word "Tech" to various Forum Titles seems pointless and destroys the clean appearance of the page.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Have to agree, this website is becoming to technical and overloaded ;o)

Pity the resources cannot be used in correcting existing problems, instead of perhaps introducing more!.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Just noticed them myself and was about to comment on the word Help in many of the titles and what is the difference between Help and Advice?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

Why haven't they added 'blather' to the Speakers Corner link?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Agree, list looks jumbled now, especially the list at top of page that sometimes appears under the black bar (I don't mean the drop down list when hover cursor over 'Forums' although that looks crowded as well)

Time and effort would have been better spent sorting out existing problems and other parts that still don't work, like the PM icon next to forum names for instance.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It would be nice if instead of cosmetic changes more urgent problems could be sorted. I have just tried to post links to Chillblast PC's(2) and Arbico PC (2) and could not post yet the link to hwcompare did get through. Thread.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Hi guys, this is embarassing as we were going to explain this before it went live today, but our ever eager dev team have beaten me to it.

The reason for the slight changes to the titles of the forums is simple, but important - it's to improve the visability of the forum in web search results. For instance: when first the forum was started, the internet was mostly populated by people interested in technology, so 'Helproom' would suffice as the name of a place to get tech help. That's no longer the case, so we're trying to make as obvious as possible the kind of information and assistance on offer, in order to both increase the number of people who find us, but just as importantly to prevent people coming to the forum and being disappointed because it isn't what they wanted to find. (Which is conversely why we didn't make any changes to the name of Speakers Corner - this forum is for regulars who simply wish to chat.)

I hope this makes sense, and you understand the change. I am, again, sorry it happened in this way.

We are looking into the issue with not being able to post links, which I suspect is something to do with the extra spam filters we had to put into place following the recent spam attack.

With regard to other problems on the forum, let me know specifically what ails, and I'll do my best to get them looked at.

Matt

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Matt Egan

I think I am correct in saying the the item which irks most of us regulars, is the MISSING ability to contact other members via email, as was the case in the 'old days'.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Duly noted. Not sure why it isn't there, to be honest. Leave it with me.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Great - I will 'watch-this-space' with interest.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Matt

A problem that has existed since the big change, that has been mentioned countless times, is that far too often when clicking on the last post time to access a thread you get only the original post and nothing else.

This always happens if the last post is the final one on a page.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes