We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview tv, set for problems

daz60

Likes # 0

freeview to payviewThis does not affect me,rid of my tv last year,for those who rely on that 'ray of light' in the corner as a window to the world,housebound people or pensioners it seems that they may have to face a charge of £212 for a filter to prevent interference from the transmitters when 4G comes.

A foreseeable event left to the last moment and ,dare i say ,typical of this countries attempts at upgrading for the digital age.

A new quango to be set up to implement the process,no doubt the vulnerable will be means tested to decide on whether they recieve funding,no comment on payscales for those who will be in charge.

Should the companies pay or the subscriber,or indeed the taxpayer.?

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

FE said:

4G is basically going to make existing wireless connection speeds look as if they are standing still - with 4G you can potentially get data download transfer speeds of around 1 Gigabyte per second on a stationary device - 100 Mps on the move.

In the USA systems,these speeds might be achievable but here in the UK,we're going to be getting a fight between various systems(similar to the VHS/Betamax argument)none of which will ever offer close to the speeds of genuine 4G.Presently being trialled in a village near me is a version of 4G and after the initial fanfare a few months ago I've heard nothing about how it's working out.The villagers are probably in raptures as they've gone from dial-up to whatever version of 4G and we all remember our first forays online with broadband after dial-up.

I was looking forward to getting 4G as my present wired broadband is so unreliable and speeds vary,that my mobile provides a faster more reliable connection,until I read that there's going to be several versions of 4G and none are as fast as genuine 4G.So instead,I'm switching ISP as TalkTalk have bought out Tiscali & when I was with Tiscali,I had exactly the same connection issues as now.

I also have a TV dongle but I discovered recently that it wont work on my quad cored PC(I bought it to use on my laptop when away from home,only the laptop expired)I did send a few emails to the dongle manufacturer but never received any reply.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Chegs

TalkTalk bought out Tiscali and a number of other ISP's quite some time ago. What they also bought was the infrastructure that BT was/is providing for these services. Changing to LLU could only go so far.

But having said that, if you pester TalkTalk far enough, they will try to improve your connections and speeds. I went from 1MB to a regular 5MB, but it did take a lot of pestering.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Samsung's best ever smartphones...

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks