We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview tv, set for problems

daz60

Likes # 0

freeview to payviewThis does not affect me,rid of my tv last year,for those who rely on that 'ray of light' in the corner as a window to the world,housebound people or pensioners it seems that they may have to face a charge of £212 for a filter to prevent interference from the transmitters when 4G comes.

A foreseeable event left to the last moment and ,dare i say ,typical of this countries attempts at upgrading for the digital age.

A new quango to be set up to implement the process,no doubt the vulnerable will be means tested to decide on whether they recieve funding,no comment on payscales for those who will be in charge.

Should the companies pay or the subscriber,or indeed the taxpayer.?

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I suspect it will depend upon your proximity to a Mobile Phone mast that will radiate 4G services. This hasn't happened before because TV and Mobile frequencies have been well separated but under the scheme to auction off spectrum for 4G some of this will be close to some Digital TV (ie Freeview) frequencies. It might be cheaper to switch to Freesat or even PayTV supplier!

Isn't it a pity the switch to digital has seen the problems due to greed of Government. Many more Digital TV services means the end quality of the picture isn't as good as it could be (and in some cases it's awful). Same with the switch to DAB where for large parts of many urban areas (covering most of the population) the quality is below the FM transmissions it will replace (and a massive cost to the consumer of several £ Billions in replacement equipment).

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

It doesn't matter if the cost is £50 or £220 and it only effects 2.3 million people why should we have to pay to get a freeview TV.

It should be the companies who should be made to pay for any problems caused, sorry silly me forgot it's this government who would have to make the decision and stick to it, unless they changed their mind.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The frequencies that will be used by 4G are the same ones vacated by the older terrestial TV ? , as I remember prior to the digital switchover they had to minimise the strenght of the Freeview transmission to avoid it interfering with terrsetial TV ?

If this were to be the case then it would surely affect the vast majority of people in the country not just 2 or 3 million ?

Cheers HC

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Am I missing something here. Mu understanding was that the phone companies would fork out funding for those effected by the changeover even going so far as paying for fibre to those like myself that have no Satellite alternative.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

This has been known about for yonks but until it 4G is fired up it is not known how many people it will affect, it will depend on the signal strength of the freeview signal and the strength of the 4S signal where ever you are. Also if your TV antenna is pointing at a 4G mast it is more lightly to cause you bother than if it is side on.

The price of a filter quoted is very high, a TETRA filter to remove a similar out of band signal from police radio transmission is only £9.95 so I cant see a 4G one being much higher.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

This is the "silly season" for the press and politicians. They need to sell their comics so need headlines. In the end it is Joe public who end paying for everything so nothing has changed. Big companies are always looking at ways of getting in extra revenue, and this week I was advised by Sky that they were adding a £5 per month fee to my bill for phone and broadband service as I was not using their TV service. I told them I was not using their TV service because they were unable to supply me with it but it made no difference. So I'm being required to pay for a service that they can't give me. It must make sense to somebody.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

21/02/12 Communications Minister Mr Vaizey said:

There will be some interference when 4G services are rolled-out but we will have the solutions in place to eliminate the disruption to television viewers.

*The vast majority of affected households will simply need to fit their TV with a filter that will be supplied by the help scheme. Extra support to fit the filters will be available to the over 75s and people who are registered disabled. A number of households may need to change platform, which could mean shifting from DTT to cable or satellite viewing, and this will be funded by the help scheme. For a small number of homes, the provision of filters or shifting to another platform will not solve the interference. In these cases, up to £10,000 per household will be used to find a solution."*

Jobs a good'un!!

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

I seem to remember that there is an EU specification/directive covering Electromagnetic Compatibility which is supposed to stop this type of interference. If this applies to the 4G stations then the onus should be on their operators/manufacturers to supply and pay for the solution.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

If it's in-band signals I'll build myself a notch filter, really simple at those frequencies when you know how, I'm not sure where this £212 comes into play, smoke, mirrors and snake oil come to mind.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If the police didn't pay for TETRA filters (and believe me, they don't!) why should telecoms company pay for 4G filters?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...