We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How stupid can some people get

carver

Likes # 0

My neighbour has lived at the side of us for only about 18 months and why he moved here I do not know, his wife hates the dark nights (we back onto moors) he hates gardening (gardens over 120ft long) and they have an **18 month old child. **

So after having every plant and shrub ripped out he decides to sell the house but needs to brighten up the garden, what does he have planted, Foxglove all over the place, not small plants but mature plants some about to flower.

Reason being the garden centre was selling them off, and he got them cheap and the young bloke from the garden centre even said he would plant them for him cheap.

I've just had to warn him that his 18 month old was trying to eat them, had to shout at her to keep her away from the plants.

He didn't even know they could be harmful, just thought they looked nice.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Some people don't like to put MINT into their borders/gardens 'cos it can be quite invasive and 'takes over' after a while.

I bought two little potted mint plants from my local supermarket and split them up and repotted 'em. Sure enough, now I've got six thriving plants, to add to my collection on my verandah. Nice smell.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Good in Mojito's as well

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Mint that is

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Grey Goo I was hoping you didn't mean bees!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Young children are generally intensely curious, and tend to learn about the physical world by picking things up and putting them in their mouths. When they're in the garden it's inevitable that some of the things going into the mouth are less than desirable - my son had a penchant for eating spring onions he pulled up by the handful. Onions and soil all went in together. He appeared to suffer no ill effects, but his breath was often something to behold.

As far as I'm aware the hospital A&E departments aren't crammed with children who have eaten toxic plants, so perhaps we worry too much. fourm member is the expert on poisonous plants - he's written an excellent book on the subject

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

FE - thanks for the link, I have just bought the book from Amazon. I don't have a garden, but I have friends who do, in any case it will make an interesting read.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

forum member

Yours is half the price ..... :-))

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fourum member, can you advise me on this, please.

I have lots of sweet peas and garden peas growing in a row, trouble is I have not labelled them. (yes, I am stupid). Are they all edible?

FE - sorry if it's starting to sound like 'Gardener's Question Time' :o]

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Young children are generally intensely curious, and tend to learn about the physical world by picking things up and putting them in their mouths. "

My wife once prized open our son's mouth to find that his cheeks were bulging because of several garden snails secreted each side!

She was praying that he did not crunch before she fished them out!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Apparently,I was just as happy chewing on coal as I was sweets and couldn't resist the cat litter tray(clean or soiled,I didn't care)I don't think it killed me but it's definitely affected me in later life(hence why I'm posting this at 6:55am having been up all night)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia