We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can the Tory's be trusted

finerty

Likes # 0

state secrets sold to:

The Tory Spy

all this in the 1950's.

Yet today today you make a honest living after being taxed

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

IMHO, No politician can be trusted, no matter which party they belong to! They are all only really interested in Self!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Many MP's have been accused - see Tom Driberg for example. BBC

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I totally agree with Nontek's post.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Why does anyone go into politics? To make things better? No, they do it for the power, to get filthy rich, enjoy all the perks of office, take no responsibility whatsoever for anything they do while not really doing all that much actually, except screwing the taxpayer left-hand thread. The moment they get elected or appointed the abuse of power begins, starting with their perks and freebies, basking in the adoration of all sorts of wealthy people, who always want something in return for their hospitality and generosity.

Most people go into politics because they can’t find a decent job, being lazy, not very bright and basically hopeless in pretty much everything they do. Politics offers a safe haven for them. They can screw up as much as they want and then hide behind collective responsibility.

And when they become politicians no more they use the connections they've made to further feather their nests. The more daring ones even do it while still in office.

Can they be trusted? Oh yes, absolutely -- guaranteed.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"No politician can be trusted, no matter which party they belong to! They are all only really interested in Self!"

That's not only a wildly sweeping statement, it's almost certainly untrue. One might just as well say 'No doctor can be trusted' or 'No bus driver can be trusted', or 'No forum member can be trusted'.

Such statements are patently ridiculous. Everyone, without exception, is interested in his or her self to some degree, and politicians should not be expected to be any different. There are untrustworthy politicians as there are untrustworthy voters.

People enter politics for a variety of reasons, and whilst self interest is undoubtedly one of them, there are far easier ways to make money, if that's what interests you. I think what you really mean is that politicians want power - they want to be in government, and they want to influence the way the country is run. Thank goodness they do, because someone has to do the job.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Snec

"Most people go into politics because they can’t find a decent job, being lazy, not very bright and basically hopeless in pretty much everything they do. Politics offers a safe haven for them. They can screw up as much as they want and then hide behind collective responsibility."

Dear me, you have got a chip on that shoulder, haven't you? Your generalisation is about the most ludicrous I've heard in a long time. Members of parliament are elected by ordinary people who, presumably, are intelligent enough to make a judgement about who should represent them in parliament. In your opinion all these electors must be stupid enough to vote for someone who isn't very bright, and is basically hopeless at pretty much everything.

I think your assessment needs a little more work before it stands a chance of being taken at all seriously, don't you?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

**One might just as well say 'No doctor can be trusted' or 'No bus driver can be trusted', or 'No forum member can be trusted

Sorry FE but I think that is a rather silly comparison, does not make any sense to me. Maybe I am just thick!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Nontek

I've known you for a long time - you're certainly not thick.

My comparison wasn't meant to be silly, but I can see what you mean. What I really wanted to do was make the point that it's not valid to dismiss an entire group of people as "...lazy, not very bright and basically hopeless in pretty much everything they do."

It's a generalisation, and will not be true of all members of the group.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Members of parliament are elected by ordinary people who, presumably, are intelligent enough to make a judgement about who should represent them in parliament.

In politics there is a saying 'voters have a short term memory' They believe that voters forget anything that happened over eighteen months ago. Personally I believe it is much shorter than that.

Albert Einstein said that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results was a sign of insanity and yet these ordinary people you mention keep voting to achieve exactly that.

Yes I have a chip, I'm absolutely peed off with my money being wasted and there is nothing I can do about it. I would not have given one penny to the banks but I had to, and now look what they've been doing.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

No.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......