We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How can people do this?

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

So there was I cooking dinner at just before 6pm this evening when I get a phone call from Mrs Wiz saying

'dishup dinner, put it in the oven and come up the stables' - then another 'now'. So I went as instructed, and I found we had got a baby horse in the yard - now this is strange as none of our mares were in foal!

Two car drivers had found this little foal at the side of the road about 300m from a busy railway level crossing and main road, they knew where our stables were and Mrs Wiz was there at the time so the little foal was stuck in the boot of a car and brought down to our stables. Lots of phone calls later, none of the other yards in our area were missing a foal and so we reported it to the local police 'horse watch' scheme and they arranged for a vet to come out to see it. It was in a pitiful state and could hardly stand, weak from lack of its mothers milk. It could not have been there long as it would have been hit by a car.

So he has now been named 'Lucky Star' and taken to the local horsepital for the night and given some milk and anti-biotics, the vet said he was about three days old.

So then we could finish having (dried-up) dinner, our 6'oclock evening meal finally eaten at 11 o'clock.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'the local horsepital' That's a new one on me. If he remained unclaimed do you get to keep him?

I'd have been temped to call him Billy Wiz:)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Quickbeam Horsepital is what we call our local horses only vet, has better facilities than our local hospital! I have been there for x-rays and cuts stitched when I turned over a carriage when on a cross-country event.

Keep him! Yes if I paid his vet bill - no he has been signed over to the RSPCA horse rescue service - I have a couple of unbroken hooligans (youngsters) in the yard and don't need another.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I recall seeing (I think it was Countryfile)about the high numbers of horses being tethered on any patch of grass,and a scheme run to neuter the horses in an attempt to reduce the numbers of horses simply being abandoned by skint owners as they couldn't afford to look after the animal.Whilst filming the piece,a couple of blokes appeared from the nearby houses and demanded to know what was going on.Their appearance & manner of speaking would (if I were on a jury) lead me to the opinion that these are exactly the kind of people that would abandon an animal anywhere.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...