We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It really makes you want to spit!!

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

Soldiers refused serviced because they were in uniform. Its not as if they even wanted alcohol.

Soldiers refused a coffee

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

fourm member - As I stated in my previous post, these bans have been happening for years. A very similar case to this occurred in Liverpool in 2006 see Liverpool Echo and in Peterborough in 2010 the RAF were banned because the locals may shout abuse. I think that the pubs are frightened of large numbers drinking together and put a ridiculous blanket ban in place and the staff don't use any discretion at all.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

AitchBEE - If you had done any research at all before posting then you would know that they hadn't been in the pub before. Reportedly this pub has a history of odd clothing bans.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If the pub had a history of soldiers playing up the owner should have said so. Is the answer in the video apology?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"...if you don't want to be around rowdy people I recommend not selling alcohol."

You're missing the point, landlords sometimes ban soldiers in uniform because they're concerned about their livelihood; they may have experiences of soldiers causing trouble, or they may just know that civilians are deterred by the sight of groups of uniformed soldiers in a pub.Some commanders specifically ban soldiers under their command from drinking in uniform.

All 'On' licences come up for renewal each year, and the Police have the power to object to a renewal if there's been a history of problem behaviour in the preceding year. It's unusual for licensing justices to grant a renewal if there's a Police objection, and as a consequence licensees listen if the Police ask for certain people or groups of people to be excluded.

I haven't a clue why this bar had the rule about uniforms, but I'm willing to bet that sound commercial motives were involved.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Some commanders specifically ban soldiers under their command from drinking in uniform."

These chaps apparently wanted coffee - I have never heard of a C.O. banning coffee while in uniform - can you give a cite?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Should have read the local paper first. They were wearing their ceremonial uniforms.

Its not clear but depending on which report you read, they may have been in Fatigues as it was only the rehersal they were taking part in at the time.

I still think its a deplorable affair, and as someone who has relatives who have flown helicopters picking up injured soldiers in Afghanistan and been shot at while doing so I fully support ALL servicemen, wherever they are.

I think we have now had our say and am now ticking as resolved. It seems the business has now apologised, so lets hope they have a bit more compassion from now on.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"Refusing to serve people in uniform is an invitation to them to return, out of uniform, and behave badly out of spite"

fourm member - Your 'logic' does not make sense!

Don't tell me you are/were a Behavioural Scientist.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Your 'logic' does not make sense!"

Makes perfect sense to me.

Been there, done that (Berkhamstead, 1954)!

I have been refused service in a British Legion when in uniform because "it's for ex-servicemen only" (a rule since changed).

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

What a strange world we now live in. There are many "Groups" in Coventry which you are not allowed by law to state "You (?) are banned" but the people who are protecting Coventry from evil are refused a cup of coffee.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

All 'On' licences come up for renewal each year, and the Police have the power to object to a renewal if there's been a history of problem behaviour in the preceding year. It's unusual for licensing justices to grant a renewal if there's a Police objection, and as a consequence licensees listen if the Police ask for certain people or groups of people to be excluded

Before it stopped trading,one of our nightclubs was the scene of many incidences of violent disorder yet it had it's licence renewed year after year despite objections from the police,local residents and other nearby businesses.Another nightclub nearby has also been allowed to keep it's licence although further restrictions were placed on it such as increased CCTV,doormen and has also been allowed extentions to it's trading hours,despite similar objections from police/residents(there's a care-home the other side of the small car-park)and businesses(hotel backs onto the nightclub)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen