We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It really makes you want to spit!!

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

Soldiers refused serviced because they were in uniform. Its not as if they even wanted alcohol.

Soldiers refused a coffee

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My good friend (I was with him) got refused a drink in a Glasgow pub - "The Goose" because he had joggy-bottoms on (...he didn't have any socks on either.) We just went to another pub.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Words fail me!!!!!!

Why not try and get the soldiers to mount a blockade. put the inconsiderate ill-informed owner out of business?

Seems reasonable to me!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Why not try and get the soldiers to mount a blockade

Seems there's a Facebook campaign. I just haven't found it yet, but I shared it on my Facebook page.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Facebook campaign may well succeed in knocking his profits.

However it is not clear what they were wearing as this was the rehearsal for the funeral. Bar staff were still wrong.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Should have read the local paper first. They were wearing their ceremonial uniforms.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

So no one thought to tell the pub about the funeral at the time. Had they done so, this would not have happened. Seems simple enough, though, like fourm member, I wonder why they have such a policy.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Pubs having a policy of not serving people in uniform is not new and regrettably occurs in many places. Servicemen have a reputation of creating or being the cause of disturbances in some places. I gather that on this occasion their commanding officer was at the funeral and it would be interesting if he too was refused entry.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I cannot understand why a bar would have a policy of not serving people in uniform."

I can. They've obviously had trouble with soldiers in the past. This incident shouldn't have happened, but I'm guessing that the owner/manager wasn't present at the time, and the duty staff blindly operated the policy without stopping to think.

It shouldn't have happened, but it did, and I imagine that everyone involved regrets it. Mounting campaigns to boycott the bar involved is a ridiculous response to a single unfortunate incident, but I guess there are plenty of people only too ready to jump on the bandwagon.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"...if you don't want to be around rowdy people I recommend not selling alcohol."

Sherbet Dabs are much safer.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It's possible that one of the lads had been barred previously from the pub, and was refused service...the other soldiers would have walked out in support of their comrade. It does happen.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia