We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lamb to the slaughter?

spider9
Resolved

Likes # 0

[click here]

Who on earth decided to throw that poor lassie to the wolves? Truly embarrassing.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

More Bambi than Lassie

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Her bosses must have thought there was no defence, so send someone 'expendable' - just hope she gets some kind of promotion for attempting the impossible - to cover their backsides!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I watched it last night in embarrassment. I think even Jeremy felt a bit sorry for her at the end. Methinks the Chancer has lost the plot. Perhaps we could all do with another "night of the long knives"

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

I doubt many disagree with your Paxman opinion, but what did you think of Chloe's performance in being sent there there to justify the Government's position? Was Mr Osborne the 'coward' that he was accused of being at PMQs, for not doing the gig himself?

Either she hadn't got answers or the policy had been 'botched' (I'll refrain from saying 'again'!).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"He's very much part of the 'news is entertainment' culture."

I find him and his 'watch me bully this hapless person' smirk incredibly irritating. Jon Snow leaves him standing.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

FE

"hapless person" ??

For goodness sake her title is Economic Secretary to the Treasury - or are they now employing hapless people to look after the country's finances?

This is surely about fielding someone incapable of defending a policy, or denying a hapless girl the ammunition to protect herself (or her master).

George is having a bad run since the budget.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Sorry but you can't blame Paxman for really enjoying himself at the expense of this woman, if she hadn't got the answers then she should not have been sent to the interview.

If she was sent just to take the flack for this about turn on policy then she may be getting some thing else out of it later, I know that if I had been in her position I would want some thing out of it.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Never watch Paxman - self opinionated, ignorant bully.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spider9

For goodness sake yourself, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, I simply mentioned Paxman's penchant for smirking. As I recall, he didn't smirk once on this occasion.

As for Chloe Smith, Jeremy Paxman sensed he had someone who had been sent to stand in for a cowardly Chancellor, and he was on his home ground - he decided to toy with her for the sake of some TV fun. It wasn't clever, it advanced the audience's understanding of the subject by not one iota, and it humiliated a junior Minister. I'm sure Paxman was delighted with his performance, he gave the media a story on a plate.

The real target here should have been George Osborne and his inability to string an economic policy together - Chloe Smith was indeed the sacrificial lamb on this occasion, but I imagine she'll not make the same mistake again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK