We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Baby Boxes on the way back

interzone55
Resolved

Likes # 0

BBC Link

This is a very distressing topic, but in these straightened times I can only see it getting more prevalent.

The principle is that a person (normally the mother, but not always) leaves their unwanted child in a safe, heated box, where it will be collected and cared for by nurses. Rather than leaving it in a plastic bag on the steps of a police station / park bench / skip.

This way the child gets a chance at a reasonable start in life, as although state care is not great, it's better than what can be expected from a homeless mother or pimp.

One little snippet from the link that I find interesting is that there is one of these baby boxes in the Vatican. Maybe the stories my mum told me about her time as a mid-wife are true.

When she worked in Salford Royal nuns used to come in the back door heavily pregnant. Once they'd had the child they'd leave by the front door and the child was delivered to the Catholic orphanage nearby - you regularly hear of the horrific treatment those children faced at the hands of priests and nuns...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

This is a very difficult subject to talk about...my last (sensitevly constructed post) was taken 'off-air'.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Romulus & Remus, 'n' Moses 'in the bullrushes' all managed to survive a neglective start in life...they didn't have baby-boxes in olden days.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

AitchBEE: - Surely that is exactly what Moses was put into.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Possibly, this may be a subject which would impinge more on the respected female members of Speaker's Forum.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wee eddie - you may be right. But I think baby Moses was a 'basket-case'...according to testament scripture.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I think this is degenerating down the usual route when our Weegie friend joins in, so I'll mark as resolved, which is a shame as it's a serious topic that could have lead to a good debate on the current times we live in and how the poorest families are forced into desperate measures to keep their heads above water.

But hey ohh...

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

alan14 - Concur with all of your last post.

Babies have been abandoned throughout history and are still being abandoned. It used to be the case that there was stigma attached to an unmarried mother and their children went for adoption. Now the stigma has been largely removed and it is not unusual for a mother to have several children with different fathers. The important part is that the child is brought up in a loving and caring home.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

While this appears to be one solution to a problem, baby boxes have been around for quite a long time, and perhaps especially more so in some countries. With some countries who have an Aids problem, you wonder what the child's future life will be?.

Regarding children and child birth, then perhaps we have no further to look than China, who still have a 'quote' on our many children a couple may have. There have been recent reports of forced abortions, of women in late stages of pregnancy.

Looking at this from another viewpoint, there are still sector's who regard having children 'in volume' is the way forward, so as to keep 'their' population and cultures for future generations. The majority will rule the minority?.

I once queried this fact with some 'elders', and the uniformed response was , " The bible states something on the lines of 'go forth and multiply'"?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer