We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who says we don't want the Olympics?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

(Apart from WTM) I've just got back from our town centre (Doncaster) where I biked around a few locations to see the Olympic torch being run through.

The streets were packed solid over a route of several miles that the procession was taking. Kids were out from schools along the route waving flags, old and young, building workers and firms of solicitors stopped to cheer it through, crowd control police were acting as cheer leaders as it passed by, and a jolly good time was had by all.

No matter who your hero might be, The Queen, Beckham, Flintoff, Thatcher/Scargill or even The Most Omnipotent Emperor Ming couldn't have commanded a greater presence than the torch bearers did!

Having seen it first hand, I am now in no doubt that it's a brilliant idea to take the torch around the country for everyone to have a chance to see it's symbolism.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

We turned out to watch the torch carried through our village even though the weather was at it's worst. Crowds lined the pavement and we were at the point of the handover, asking someone next to me who the torch bearer waiting was. He replied " haven't got a clue - total stranger to me."

Seems that was the situation throughout the area, the torch bearer waiting had no connection with the town or village.

In Doncaster people would have no such difficulty acknowledging who it was when the courageous Ben Parkinson went by.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE: - I am not objecting to Children being taken by Bus the see the Torch, I'm sure that many of them will fondly remember it throughout their lives.

I am pointing out the 'Janus like' nature of the scorn we pour onto those Political Regimes that Bus-in Supporters to their Rallies

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I don't know why we've started to assume that all these people were bussed in to cheer on the torch bearers as they ran through. It was very much spontaneous support by the majority as it passed their place of work and the school kids were from schools along or not far off of the route.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Quickbeam:

because that was how they got there, in Ayr, either in a bus or in a crockodile, if the School was close to the route

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia