We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who says we don't want the Olympics?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

(Apart from WTM) I've just got back from our town centre (Doncaster) where I biked around a few locations to see the Olympic torch being run through.

The streets were packed solid over a route of several miles that the procession was taking. Kids were out from schools along the route waving flags, old and young, building workers and firms of solicitors stopped to cheer it through, crowd control police were acting as cheer leaders as it passed by, and a jolly good time was had by all.

No matter who your hero might be, The Queen, Beckham, Flintoff, Thatcher/Scargill or even The Most Omnipotent Emperor Ming couldn't have commanded a greater presence than the torch bearers did!

Having seen it first hand, I am now in no doubt that it's a brilliant idea to take the torch around the country for everyone to have a chance to see it's symbolism.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

We, us Brits that is, are frequently very critical of Regimes that Bus-in huge numbers of, so called, supporters to generated a show of strength and Party Unity.

Can anyone show me the difference between that, and the Busing of millions of School Children, into Towns, to line the Route of the Olympic Torch?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I will withhold judgement on whether huge sums of money have been wasted on White Elephants which will find little, or no, use in the future and have to be bulldozed at great expense.

My own particular gripe is the destruction of Greenwich Park, for the Equitation Events, when we have alternative sites available.

I wonder how many years it will take to return the Park to anything like its original condition and I'm willing to bet that one, or more, Developers manage to get their Plans Passed, which may eat into the Site, because of its dilapidated condition.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have serious doubts that the Olympic example of Athletes, running, jumping and hurling things, will make any noticeable percentage of the Great British Public turn from its TV Screens to the Games Field.

This, of course, was one of the Primary reasons, touted by Senior Members of all 3 Political Parties, to justify the iniquitous expense.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"and the Busing of millions of School Children, into Towns, to line the Route of the Olympic Torch?"

I can remember being bussed in, in 1952 when I was 14, to cheer the Queen.

Perhaps that's why she seems so popular!

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 1

No from me for all the reasons others have stated. The hype drives me insane!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Can anyone show me the difference between that, and the Busing of millions of School Children, into Towns, to line the Route of the Olympic Torch?"

Has it occurred to you that lots of those children will remember the event well into their adult lives? They'll have that 'I was there' feeling whenever the 2012 Olympics are mentioned.

It's all to easy to take a negative view of what is about to happen, and yes, it has all cost a huge amount of money, but surely life should be about more than just the humdrum daily routine of austerity and budget cuts? As a nation we have a history of making ourselves proud of what we can achieve, and just maybe there will be something to be proud of in the way we are staging the Games. I'm sure there will be glitches and some controversy, plenty for the glass-half-empty people to have a go at, but perhaps there'll be some wonderful moments too.

I look forward to it, despite the inevitable disruptions to the normal functioning of my city. I'll be in the stadium one morning, and at the archery at Lords Cricket ground on two occasions. I'm determined to enjoy the Olympics, and I hope some of you do, too.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I have a great fondness for the original spirit of the Olympics, what it has become in the modern day is just a reflection of our modern world and what governs it. I do enjoy the modern Olympics as a once budding athlete myself.

My grandfather won an Olympic gold in 1932 Los Angeles and our family are celebrating his achievement at a special do next month. Tommy Green Celebration

Wee Eddie, as I have previously posted regarding Greewich Park here is the link again. Post games

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I can understand that it will be special for the children after all the older ones of us have seen something they never will. England win the Football World Cup

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I used to love all forms of athletics, including the Olympics, and competed until my late teens.

I have met Bannister and been coached by Ibbotson, but the moneymen ruined it, as with most other "sports", for me.

I know I'm one of the "glass half empty" people referred to by the FE, but there it is, that's the way I now see it.

I don't even see it as just simple entertainment any more, as I do Wimbledon or Alpine Skiing, both totally processional and money orientated.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"money orientated"

Bit like professional football then?.

Win or lose, the megabuck wages and hand-outs, plus glamour are still readily available!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more