We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Who says we don't want the Olympics?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

(Apart from WTM) I've just got back from our town centre (Doncaster) where I biked around a few locations to see the Olympic torch being run through.

The streets were packed solid over a route of several miles that the procession was taking. Kids were out from schools along the route waving flags, old and young, building workers and firms of solicitors stopped to cheer it through, crowd control police were acting as cheer leaders as it passed by, and a jolly good time was had by all.

No matter who your hero might be, The Queen, Beckham, Flintoff, Thatcher/Scargill or even The Most Omnipotent Emperor Ming couldn't have commanded a greater presence than the torch bearers did!

Having seen it first hand, I am now in no doubt that it's a brilliant idea to take the torch around the country for everyone to have a chance to see it's symbolism.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 2

I for one do not want the Olympics and I dare say that others will say much the same thing. I must however admit that when the torch came through our small town with a population of about 3,000 the streets were indeed packed with people and not all of them were visitors passing through. My biggest objection is that they will not be satisfied having the Olympics on the one TV channel but will have it on other channels at the same time. If they just kept it to the sports channels fair enough but no we are going to be swamped with wall to wall sports 24/7. The sooner it is all over and done with the better as far as I am concerned.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 2

I guess many of those enthusiastic onlookers were there just because they know it will be on TV - Look Mum I'm on TV!!

I for one have no interest at all in the Olympics.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

I am not against the Olympics per se, what I object to is the truly obscene cost of £8.4 billion and 101% over budget. London Olympics the most costly yet!

The country cannot afford such vast sums to be spent on a two week sporting event! I know that this argument is largely academic now as the money has been spent and the event is upon us, but just think what other uses that this money could have been used for?

I think that the Olympics should have been funded by corporate sponsorship as the Los Angeles 1984 games were not by the taxpayer as we have been forced to do. Interesting article about it here 1984 Los Angeles Olympics

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Beatles would come close...remember BEATLMANIA back in the 60's?

(and no, the word 'Beatlmania' isn't in the big dictionary I keep handy.)

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - IMHO the crowds can be compared to the congregation on Sunday TV Songs of Praise, where the church is packed to the gunnels. I often what how many are normally in that same church each Sunday?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Ooops, addendum = I often wonder - not, I often what ....

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

AitchBEE It is if you spell it correctly Beatlemania

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I would have liked to have gone to see the torch parade on Friday when it passed through our town, just to photograph the crowds, but the weather was truly abysmal, so I stayed indoors...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Kevscar - thanks for that...they were also known as the 'Fab Four'.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I hope the London Olympics don't clash with the Golf (The British Open Championship)...I'll not know which way to look...down the pub!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia