We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Archaic customs of the Royal family!

Flak999

Likes # 0

I am not an avid supporter of the Royal family, but I am not a republican either. I think the Queen does a good job for the country and brings in much needed tourist dollars.

However when you see articles such as this The Queen tells the Duchess of Cambridge to curtsy to the 'blood princesses’ it really does make you wonder! I know that some of these quaint old customs contribute to the continuing mystique surrounding the monarchy, but really in this day and age when Charles has been allowed to marry a divorcee and William has married a commoner, do they all really need to bow and scrape to one another even in private?

Frankly a more anachronistic throw back to a bygone age you could not invent! I thought at first it was a joke but apparently not! The order comes from Her Maj herself!

It's a bit like the vainglorious titles and uniforms that they all love to sport. I see Charles was made a Field Marshall, Marshall of the RAF and Admiral of the Fleet all in one day, last week!

It's all to ridiculous for words isn't it?

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

woody

But you do expect a certain respect.

I expect nothing, respect is something which is earned not demanded as of right! Surely there are many ways of showing respect to somebody without having to tug one's proverbial forelock?

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

"The royal family is a business and, like any other, it has a set of management procedures."

Hilarious.

And yes, it is.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"I expect nothing, respect is something which is earned not demanded as of right!"

We do differ.I expect and demand my staff respect my wife and my inanimate objects.If someone at the door shows disrespect - they don't get in.

Just an aside - my team which i left over a score years ago - still come up to me/us and pass the time of day - it has been so long - i may not have changed much - but i admit some i do not recognise.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

woody

I expect and demand my staff respect my wife and my inanimate objects

We obviously inhabit very different worlds!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

You either think that all these traditional rituals are part of what makes us such a distinctive nation or you don't. Each to his or own way of thinking.

I'm one of those who think that the institution of our monarchy is something to be preserved, even if some of the individuals in it are not exactly a credit to the cause. The fact is, our Queen is admired all over the world; I've lost count of the number of times people in different countries have told me how much they admire our monarchy.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I saw Alistair Campbell being asked about this very subject on "The Wright Stuff" this lunchtime. He said that he met members of the Royal family on many occasions when he was advisor to Tony Blair.

He said he could not recall an occasion where he bowed to any of them. Is it just a pantomime the Royals go through in public? I really cannot imagine them doing it to each other in private!

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

It's all to ridiculous for words isn't it?

It is, but so many things are that I let most of them just pass by. This one is hardly worth a mention.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I don't bow to my wife and I wouldn't expect my son's wife to curtsy to me"

No, but you stand up when she joins/rejoins your table at a restaurant.

Certainly if I met my wife outside somewhere when I was still in uniform I would salute, the military equivalent of raising one's hat.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I know that quite a lot of families have squables and sometimes certain members of those families 'fall out' with each other because of 'communication breakdowns'.

So what's wrong in giving a visible sign of one's respect to one's loved ones. It keep's everything 'tickety-boo' and everybody 'in-their-place'.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Groan.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features