We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Opening of Bomber Command Memorial

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

On Thursday, the Bomber Command Memorial is being opened by a number of Royals. I see that the BBC are not covering this “live” (do I detect a bias here?). I tried – admittedly not with all my might, to contact the Bomber Command organisation, as I would like to have attended, but found them a very difficult team to contact. The telephone was unanswered, and they appear to have no on line or e mail application system. It is too late now anyway. My father was one of the about 55000 KIA in bomber Command – night of 23 Aug 1943, a navigator in a Lancaster of 207 Sqn shot down in N Holland on way back from a raid on Berlin. The rear gunner, who landed still in his compartment, was the only survivor. My mother who sadly died 4 years ago was a WAAF driver with Coastal Command at the time.. I am sure quite a few on the forum will think about the Bomber Boys on Thursday.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

FE I should have added. The Wing Commander Flying was also called Thomas. initials C.W.S - so always known as Co-op.

I wish thatmy memory was as good for more recent things.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

flycatcher1

Thank you for the correction - they were Lincolns. Childhood memories aren't always as accurate as you think.

One thing I know I have right - they made a fine noise taking off at night.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

For those interested, ITV1 at 9pm tonight has a programme which interviws veterans etc of Bomber Command.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

john bunyan. Thanks for the info. I shall record it so that I can watch it tomorrow and cut out the adverts.

I don't know why but these days I find myself watching more and more of the history channels on TV . Just been watching the Japanese suicide planes attacking the US and British fleets off Okinawa in April 1945. I was very pleased to see a bit of the commentary was supplied by "Ronnie Hay". (I think he must have been serving on HMS Indefatigable at that time).

I served under him when he became troop commander of "A" Troop in 40 Cdo RM way back n 1947. He was first and foremost a Royal Marine officer but because he had a pilots licence had been transferred to the Fleet air Arm in the early part of the war. He also flew one of the famous "string-bags" which attacked the Tirpitz and he boasted the DFC with bar and a couple of other decorations. I must look it up somewhere.

In "A" Troop it took him a long time to get used to being back with the Marines. He took a lot of stick from us because we were ignorant of his past of course. I do know he led a quite distinguished life afterwards. He died about three years ago.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps worth a mention, Bomber Command is being repeated on ITV at 10.35pm this Thursday, for anyone who wants to watch the program and misses tonight's showing.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

It will be better if it is shown on catch up TV as they cut out the ads for those.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

forum member

Which is why I often watch ITV via one of 2 DVD recorders either some hours or days later, or even with only a 20 mins delay.On my Panasonic I can fast forward the ads - on the Pioneer it can "jump" the ads using a "next" button.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I must hunt out my DVD recorder, I put it away a couple of years ago and forgot all about it.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Just watched it.

One old boy did three tours as a rear gunner (90 ops)?

Can't even begin to imagine facing that.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I learn from another source that HMG is demanding full VAT on all materials and services.

Suppose it doesn't count as a charity.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback