We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Breathalyser shelf life

WhiteTruckMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

As some people may be aware, you will be required to carry DIY breathalysers if you go driving in france. I will need to get some sometime, but does anyone know what kind of shelf life these things have? And is it on the order of months, years or even decades?

WTM

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you buy good quality breathalysers the useful life will be in the order of several years - perhaps up to ten years.

Make sure you get one that carried the 'NF approved' logo,or it will not be legal in France, and you will be liable to a fine. As far as I'm aware there are only two manufacturers currently approved for disposable kits - a French company called Contralco and a South African firm called Redline.

You'll find other makes which are marked 'suitable for use in France' but unless they carry a blue 'NF approved' logo they are no good.

Like this post  
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Here you go buy before you go (not try before you blow)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Good Grief!

The things you learn on this forum!

(Not a criticism.I have driven in France, and was not aware of this new requirement)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They show a good sense of humour on the link from Nontek.

The compulsory carrying of breathalysers seems to be a defeatist attitude to drink driving. i.e. We can't stop it so we'll make them check them selves (dream on), rather than, if you get caught you get the book thrown at you, so don't.

I find it much simpler to work on a zero tolerance policy. If I drink I don't drive, if I drive I don't drink. Only the one simples thought process is involved then.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I love the Daily Mail's attitude to this

"British drivers forced to carry breathalysers in France!"

So no-one else will be subject to this new law then.

Also interesting that you have to carry hi-viz jackets in the car, not the boot

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Just like PIP then NF good?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Looks like I will hold off until a month or two until I next go, but now at least I have a better idea what to look for, thanks everyone.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...