We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Martin McGuiness to meet The Queen

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Former IRA leader Martin McGuinness is to meet the Queen and shake her hand at a charity reception in Belfast on Wednesday.

The times, they are a changin'

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 1

Maybe it is the catalyst for better relations with Ireland as a whole. I think it is the right thing to do myself. We cannot live in the past. The world would be a better place if all the tribes could get together and shake hands.

In reality it will never happen whilst people worship different Gods. I think the North American Indians had the right idea in worshipping a wooden Totem Pole. They probably got as much sense out of one of those, than could be got from all the religious leaders in the World.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"The times, they are a changin'"

There might appear to be for some, but certainly not for others. Shaking hands or being in the same room, doesn't mean you are friends or carry the goodwill of others.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Whoops, that should have been "The times, they are a changin'"

(notice the highlight?)

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

HRH,because of her position, has shook hands or associated with many a devil,so this will not phase her no matter how disgusted she may feel.

Like Arafat and Peres and Shimon who all recieved the Nobel prize,former terrorists recieving a prize created in name from the man who invented dynamite,the worm always turns.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

spider9

Not HRH

Off to the Tower with you!

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

This word terrorist worries me slightly - particularly in the case of people like McGuinness. In another context people fighting for a political ideal have been known as 'freedom fighters' and I cannot divine a distinction between the two cases. It seems to me that one or the other description is used depending upon how the speaker stands politically. History has shown the Brits quite happily aiding the Afghan 'freedom fighters' when it suited them but now have a different terminology. I'm not condoning for one minute the acts perpetrated by these people and hopefully this magnanimous gesture by HRH will go a long way to helping the Irish situation. Sadly, I somehow doubt it.

Like this post
Cymro.

Likes # 0

So who has done the most to bring peace to Ireland? Probably Martin McGuinness I would think and at a very real risk to himself.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

McGuinness is the living proof that terrorism works.

Does anybody really think he would be Ulster's Deputy First minister, or would be meeting the Queen, if it were not for the number of British soldiers and policemen and civilians he has had a hand in killing?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Prejudice had application on both sides. When Brian Faulkner the last premier emerged in fury from another stalemate meeting in Stormont, cameras and reporters were there in force.

I think it was one journalist from the Beeb, who asked Faulkner "What went wrong in there Prime Minister"

The P.M. almost speechless with rage didn't stop but over his shoulder he said "Ask that Demon Priest in there!"

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

fm

It takes two to need a peace.

The IRA either by design or luck hit HMG where it really hurt when they bombed the Baltic Exchange in 1993. Kill civilians, police or the armed forces and that is the price we were seemingly willing to pay. Damage GB PLC and that is different and the roadway to Good Friday 1997 was drawn.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014: A reflection

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?