We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the real music dying ?

al's left peg

Likes # 0

Hi guys, I was fortunate enough to witness Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band play at the Stadium of light on Thursday. This is the second time I have seen him, the last time being 1985 on his Born In The USA tour. On Thursday he was on stage for roughly around 3 hours and 20 minutes and it was a fantastic show. No flashy stage set up, no pyrotechnics just a man and his music playing his way through a 30 odd year career.

Last night I watched another great performer on TV, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers live at the rain sodden Isle of Wight Festival. Again this guy, although in his 60's put on a great performance with a band that have been with him for most of his career.

Recently reported was that the Rolling Stones are preparing for one last hurrah, due to old age and failing health. I had a conversation with a colleague and fellow music lover and we are both in agreement that there is not much coming through to replace or take on the mantel of these great bands once they have gone.

As I have a wide interest in many musical genres, I would be interested in any opinions as to who they think will have any longevity in the music industry or has the king of "auto tune" Cowell ruined the music industry beyond repair?

Cheers, Al

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I mentioned Rap earlier and was just saying to the kids (again) that it is not music at all."

A bit like those parents back in the 1950s who said much the same thing about Bill Hayley's music. What goes around, comes around, as they say. The important thing about music is the influence it has on those who listen to it - there's no 'good' or 'bad' music. Every one of us likes 'our' kind of music, and we often can't see what others like about different stuff - 'their' music.

Thank goodness it's the case - otherwise we wouldn't have the rich and varied musical tapestry which has been woven by different cultures over the centuries.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I've just inherited the total music collection of a downstairs' friend and neighbour (and his sound system)...just played one of his cassettes (do you rememmber cassettes?)..the sound is top-notch...easy listening....Mantovanni Orchestra...magic!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Musical tastes have changed in my life,I was a "rocker" then a "punk" as a teenager,I would never listen to classical/opera/jazz/rap either.I now find I can enjoy almost any genre of music(though still hate most opera/jazz & all rap)I get quite irritable when I'm out and about & hear a teenager listening to an indescribable noise on their mobile phone,and I've been known to ask a few(daughters friends)who on earth they're listening to.My daughters phone has several tunes from my MP3 collection,but whenever I hear them I don't recognise them as the sound is so distorted & tinny.I'm often remarking that we have two ears so why not listen to music from two speakers(which my daughter will counter with "but I'm deaf in one ear")as then there's less chance of it sounding like nails dragged down a blackboard.At the town's festival last year,we had several bands from the 80's in the line up and as I couldn't afford tickets I ventured to the top of the multi-storey carpark(which overlooked the stage)and spent several hours revelling in the sights & sounds from my teenage years.This year,the top storey of the carpark had had huge plywood shutters erected,every vantage point of previous years had also either shutters or fencing erected so I stayed home(& the various bands due to appear I've never heard of)but apparently this years festival had one of the highest attendances which I doubt as previous festivals,the harbourside was so thick with crowds of people it was nearly impossible to move from one side of the harbour to the other whereas the local paper had carried several pieces about how ticket sales this year were slow and when I'd been in the town a few hours before this years festival,you'd never have guessed there was even a 3 day festival happening.

I doubt if (m)any of Simon Cowells one hit wonders will still be around in 20-30-40 years,and if the recent Jubilee Concert is anything to go by,thank god as Cliff Richard/Paul Mccartney/Stevie Wonder were so out of tune as to be unbearable.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Chegs...your 'roof-top' experience brought back remembrances of THE BEATLES doing a gig on top of a roof...way back in the late sixties...it was smashin'. (I can't do a Liverpool accent) :o]

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

AitchBEE, Dat's grate La, Please don't try.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

**FE -- A bit like those parents back in the 1950s who said much the same thing about Bill Hayley's music. What goes around, comes around, as they say. The important thing about music is the influence it has on those who listen to it - there's no 'good' or 'bad' music. Every one of us likes 'our' kind of music, and we often can't see what others like about different stuff - 'their' music.**

I agree with you absolutely, and, as I have already said, I like some of the new stuff but I hope you will agree with me that for something to be called music it has to be musical. Something that has no discernable tune cannot be called music, surely.

I admit I'm far from being an expert when it comes to music so I may be wrong.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Snec

"Something that has no discernable tune cannot be called music, surely."

I once sat an listened to an aboriginal man play a didgeridoo on an Australian beach as the sun set. The sound was hypnotic, and whilst I wouldn't say there was a discernible tune, it was certainly musical in quality. The same might be said of the Gamalan music of Bali - it's not melodic. Chinese opera can sound very discordant to Western ears, and it often doesn't appear to have a discernible tune.

There's no agreed definition of music, it's very much up to individual players and listeners to decide.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

If there's a rhythm, it's music.

But the definition of music will always be in the ear of the beholder... as they say.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Music is simply a sequence of notes, played with rhythm.

I have a friend who was in an industrial rock band in the 90's. Played anvils, oil drums, sheet steel, whatever came to hand and responded to a hammer. The music was hypnotic, as you were taken in by the rhythm.

One gig an idiot wasn't happy and threw a bottle on stage just missing my mate.

The idiot stayed for the whole gig, and even cheered later when a tune was played on a car door. He didn't realise it was his car door until he left the venue :-)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Will always be in the ear of the beholder... as the say"

"Music is simply a sequence of notes, played with rhythm"

I couldn't agree more with those two statements.

When you see street kid's making music with part filled bottles containing certain volumes of water, or playing a old style record through a hand-made megaphone with a needle attached, plus a host of other discarded items. Or even a person who was well known for making a conch shell sound very much like a saxophone. And the best part was most of the tunes were recognisable, then these are perhaps natures way of saying that there are other great sounds of music, that do not always comes from electronic devices?.

There also appears to be an increase of 'Mood' music, which may consist of chants, natures own sounds etc, yet some of these sounds help to relax the mind, when a punk rock band might not, for some?.

And you will find that 'music' is happening all over the globe, and as done so for centuries.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes