We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the real music dying ?

al's left peg

Likes # 0

Hi guys, I was fortunate enough to witness Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band play at the Stadium of light on Thursday. This is the second time I have seen him, the last time being 1985 on his Born In The USA tour. On Thursday he was on stage for roughly around 3 hours and 20 minutes and it was a fantastic show. No flashy stage set up, no pyrotechnics just a man and his music playing his way through a 30 odd year career.

Last night I watched another great performer on TV, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers live at the rain sodden Isle of Wight Festival. Again this guy, although in his 60's put on a great performance with a band that have been with him for most of his career.

Recently reported was that the Rolling Stones are preparing for one last hurrah, due to old age and failing health. I had a conversation with a colleague and fellow music lover and we are both in agreement that there is not much coming through to replace or take on the mantel of these great bands once they have gone.

As I have a wide interest in many musical genres, I would be interested in any opinions as to who they think will have any longevity in the music industry or has the king of "auto tune" Cowell ruined the music industry beyond repair?

Cheers, Al

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Mozart Bach 'n' Beethovan (..Rhymes with Bachman Turner Overdrive).

Anyway...the classical composers of yesteryear did not have to worry much about record sales...200 years ago there wasn't even electricity!

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Stone The Crows, now there's a band!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Nowadays any loud music played on a guitar is automatically "rock", whereas true rock and roll is based on an eight bar blues with its roots firmly in C&W."

I couldn't have put it better myself.

It's a bit like Rhythm and blues. To hear some people talk you might think that R & B is a recent innovation, whereas in fact it had its origins back in the 1940s.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

If you're going to play around with Beethoven's name you might at least spell it correctly. What possible connection he might have with Bachman-Turner Overdrive beats me - the band was named after two band members and the name of an American trucking magazine.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Oh, for goodness' sake.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

It's not like the only choice is Springsteen or the latest Cowell puppet.

As for how people use the word "rock"...Oh, I can't be bothered.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE you missed my point - the two expressions (Top Line) in bold have the same number of syllables...Emmerson Lake & Palmer also have seven syllables....might have been a better example!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

"FE you missed my point"

Along with pretty well every other person on the planet, I would imagine.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...well FE, that's showbiz!

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

rdave13

I could not agree more, I thought about saying that myself. I enjoyed it when singers were backed by the music, not drowned out or taken over by it.

I mentioned Rap earlier and was just saying to the kids (again) that it is not music at all. Of course they like to argue so I asked them to hum or whistle three separate Rap 'tunes' - they can't but the're still trying to win this one, I think I'll let 'em. Anything for a quite life, after a bit anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room