We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the real music dying ?

al's left peg

Likes # 0

Hi guys, I was fortunate enough to witness Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band play at the Stadium of light on Thursday. This is the second time I have seen him, the last time being 1985 on his Born In The USA tour. On Thursday he was on stage for roughly around 3 hours and 20 minutes and it was a fantastic show. No flashy stage set up, no pyrotechnics just a man and his music playing his way through a 30 odd year career.

Last night I watched another great performer on TV, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers live at the rain sodden Isle of Wight Festival. Again this guy, although in his 60's put on a great performance with a band that have been with him for most of his career.

Recently reported was that the Rolling Stones are preparing for one last hurrah, due to old age and failing health. I had a conversation with a colleague and fellow music lover and we are both in agreement that there is not much coming through to replace or take on the mantel of these great bands once they have gone.

As I have a wide interest in many musical genres, I would be interested in any opinions as to who they think will have any longevity in the music industry or has the king of "auto tune" Cowell ruined the music industry beyond repair?

Cheers, Al

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Yes, Trower, just a typo!!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

If you watched Tom Petty on TV last night did you not see the previous band Elbow?

For my money Elbow are one of the best live bands around at the moment, I had tickets to see them today at Jodrell Bank, but my girlfriend cannot walk in mud, so we had to cry off. Hopefully conditions will be better at the Latitude Festival in Suffolk in July.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm an old fart now but I can't help liking Lady Gaga's type of singing and musical compositions. I know the videos are a bit near the knuckle but to listen to her songs through the "headphones", as they were called years ago, sounds to me as a great artist that shouldn't really depend on the visuals. That's modern technology though. She'll be around for a long time I think.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I noticed (with glee) in the Metro newspaper 2 days ago that 'Manhatten Transfer' of Chanson D'Amour fame & Maggie Bell (lead singer of) Stone The Crows are still going strong. I will be endeavouring to buy some concert tickets.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I've never been a Springsteen fan, but I acknowledge the fact that I'm probably in a minority.

There are plenty of very good performers around now, but I think it's much harder to become 'big' in the way that bands could do it years ago - there's more competition these days, and music genres have multiplied like rabbits.

Back in the day, music was very much about playing instruments and singing. Now it's as much about dancing and video, and session musicians. It will change - popular music styles and tastes do - but for the moment we have large numbers of very good performers not succeeding as well as some very bad performers. People who are driven to play and sing will continue to do it, and a few will become very successful. All will be well, the music business is by no means ruined beyond repair; it's just changing.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Reading this thread again I hope I'm forgiven a link to Queen and a live performance of It's A Kind Of Magic.

Link

Gaga is a similar artist, or style, and some of us might not take the artist seriously.

Each to their own tastes but exceptional musicians live on.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

The music scene has always been a changing one.

Although tastes change generally as you get older, your taste in music usually remains the sort of music enjoyed in your teens.

I have to admit to liking some of the new stuff but Rap passes me by completely and I'm amazed it has lasted 30 years, I gave it less than six months when I first heard it. My grand kids have grown up with it from birth through their teens and still chant along with it now. I don't like it but I believe now that it will survive for as long as the real rock from the 50s and 60s has.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Snec , just before I retire for the night, Rock evolved through the 50s and 60s to the pinnacle of groups such as Queen in my humble opinion. You now get variations of 'Rock' music and, to me , "heavy", "middle", "metal" and what ever sub categories goes on, it's no longer Rock.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Now it's as much about dancing and video"

I often wonder how many of the the top 100 would be there if it wasn't for raunchy videos.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Rock evolved through the 50s and 60s "

It didn't so much evolve as become corrupted.

Nowadays any loud music played on a guitar is automatically "rock", whereas true rock and roll is based on an eight bar blues with its roots firmly in C&W.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good