We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bus drivers Olympic period strike

Strawballs
Resolved

Likes # 0

I bet they won't be the only ones profiteering during the Olympics. I can imagine the prices of all sorts of things will rocket during this time but won't get all the headlines from the papers etc. I don't agree with what the drivers are doing I think it is wrong but they should not be the only ones getting criticized.

Drivers strike

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The others would get no money by striking if they own the business but are still profiteering from the situation they are both as bad as each other!!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

London taxi-cab drivers might reduce their fares to help out the forlorn, stranded bus commuters...if the 'Olympic' bus strikes go ahead.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"London taxi-cab drivers might reduce their fares to help out the forlorn, .."

Seeing would be believing, because if like anywhere else, when the opportunity is there to increase fares, then its usually taken.

A number of years ago, one our our local bus company's discontinued a route, and a taxi company offered to service the route at bus fare prices. Good idea when the peoples carrier or mini-bus was full, but certainly not when the peak hours finished. It didn't take all that long for the taxi company to realise this.

Public spirited it might have been, profit wise, it certainly was not!.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

The whole reason behind this strike is greed, pure and simple. Because of the Olympics unions such as the RMT and now Unite feel that they can hold TFL and the Government to ransom by saying, pay us a bonus or we will disrupt London's transport during the games and make the country a laughing stock in the eyes of the world.

It's blackmail, nothing more, nothing less. What extra work will a bus driver have to do during the games that he does not do on a daily basis already? He reports for his shift, takes his bus out full or empty onto London's congested streets every day. He answers questions from tourists already on a daily basis, once his bus is full as it is during the rush hour every day, he can't take any more passengers!

So just what is he asking for a bonus for? The answer is, because the equally greedy tube workers are getting one!

They should stop coming up with ridiculous comments about extra work and stress and just admit they are holding the capital to ransom out of sheer greed!

Like this post  
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The whole reason behind this strike is greed, pure and simple"

No it's not, it's market forces, pure and simple.

Supply and demand. Like the well owner in the desert, they have a product to sell, and at times of high demand prices go up, like energy, fresh fruit in the winter and any number of other commodities.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"..is worth the loss of support in the long-term from the travelling public."

I always wonder what that kind of statement actually means?

In what ways do the public normally 'support' the drivers? Give them tips, take a turn at the wheel so they can rest,...etc? NO.

The public use the buses because they are there, pure and simple, nothing at all to do with 'support' .

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"rack and ruin"?

fm - does your use of the word 'rack' in your last post have the meaning implied in the saying above?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fourm member, you must have been joking when you said:-

If customers find an alternative they no longer care about the dispute.

Are you implying that people should walk 10 miles to work and 10 miles back home?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

So, you think that, when the buses stop, Joe public make a conscious decision to 'support' them and sits down to write letters of complaint?

Sorry but, to my mind, they just say "Hell, no buses today" and make do the best they can - expecting the Mayor, or whatever, to sort it out.

...until the next time (and there's always a next time!).

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'...It is beginning to look as though a great many people want the Olympics and want it to go well.'

I wonder if WTM will be moved by the surge in support and be out on the street cheering on the torch relay enthusiastic as it passes Acacia Crescent...?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow