We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bus drivers Olympic period strike

Strawballs
Resolved

Likes # 0

I bet they won't be the only ones profiteering during the Olympics. I can imagine the prices of all sorts of things will rocket during this time but won't get all the headlines from the papers etc. I don't agree with what the drivers are doing I think it is wrong but they should not be the only ones getting criticized.

Drivers strike

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that it is called greed.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Does this happen regularly in all Olympic host cities as a matter of course, or it it just a British thing to milk golden eggs like manna from heaven?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

I see two apects to this

On the one hand all anybody can do is a days work for days pay,what ever the disadvantages of the job Extra hours merit extrta pay as in the workers agreement,

However Bob Crow,s mob started it and the employers caved in. So on that basis all of Londons transportworkers should be on the same footing. I dont agree with it,but treat all the same.

The reality is of course the union leaders are always looking for an opportunity to flex their muscle,to be seen to be doing something to justify their generous pay,

I notiice too that Bob Crow not withstanding is excellant renumeration still resides in public housing which I geuss shows the real nature of the man who willfully denies the needy of accomodation.
Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Look like the ent of my piece got lost but never mind you get my drift

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I suppose you could look at this like the old days of Sunday working for double time, and Saturdays and some evenings for time and an half.

When things changed in some cases to 24 hour working patterns for the same hourly pay, some people regarded that they 'had lost out' by this. Perhaps this as now come back to haunt the bosses, while the advantages are there?.

What I can see whatever the case, Rip-Off Britain might now show to be true, and it will not only be the Del-Boys minting it?.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

I think they have had an offer of £17 extra a day for the 29 days making it around £493. However I guess it has been rejected because they will have to work for it and not take the bonus and then go sick.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

As I said earlier I can't understand why all the other cases are not being jumped on by the papers or is it they only like to criticise workers rather than business owners like Hotels etc that will undoubtedly be doing the same!!!

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Strawballs

The people being affected are also workers who have limited choice in these matters. I hope this does not get out of hand as there have been alleged reports of passenger reprisals in some areas.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Grey Goo I agree with you that the drivers are out of order but my point is why is this the only story on this subject that is being jumped on!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Because they are going on strike and the others are not.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow