We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

beware of bogus police

finerty

Likes # 0

Bogus Police

Have a good time during the Olympics but bewware of bogus police who try to get £ out of you

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 1

So, while you are waiting for the late arrival of the overcrowded bus/train for which you are going to be charged a small fortune, you'll get nicked and fined by bogus policemen as well.

So very glad I will be many thousands of miles away sinking a few tinnies with some old mates!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 1

I would have thought that graphic illustration would be the way to go. A picture of an English bobby with a tourist trying to give him £20 and a big red cross through the £20. That should cover many languages at once.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

canarieslover

I recall putting up signs in Borneo in 1969. They simple showed a man aiming a rifle with a black puff image of smoke coming out of the barrel, and a person in front falling to the ground.

No words were needed, the signs spoke for themselve.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

No fear of me hearing the Telegraph scraping the bottom of the barrel as I haven't bought a newspaper in 10 years and I can't say I have missed much.

Perhaps they are not bogus policemen as the police seem to be taking money for many things these days. When they are walking about in their MacDonalds sponsored uniforms reading their Apple sponsored iPads why not have their wages sponsored by public donations or is this a privatisation too far even for the present Government. Payment by results would surely mean that the Isle Of Wight police and local authority would be struggling for wages this week even if their salaries were not paid into the RBS Banking Group. Now is there anybody I haven't upset so far? :-)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Yesterday, I listened in to the 'tail-end' of a very heated argument on Argyle Street in Glasgow, I was just coming out of the GHA office after paying my quarterly 'common charge bill'.

The man 'who purported to be a policeman in plain clothes' was threatening another man 'because of his attitude'.The incident which instigated this fracas is unknown to me, but 'the policeman in plain clothes', seemed very domineering and overbearing. After about 1 minute, I went on my way.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As you have already stated "the fracas is unknown to me"!.

Sometimes it takes attitude to resolve a situation that could get well out of control?.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

And often attitude causes a problem.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I work in London half of the week and I am dreading the thought of travelling during rush hours to and from work. It's a nightmare and I wish London had not been awarded the Games.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I would imagine that it might not break the bank to erect prominent signboards at all points of entry, written in various languages:-

British Police officers will not ask you for payments of any kind, do not pay any money to someone who tells you he/she is a Police Officer.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"it might not break the bank to erect prominent signboards at all points of entry, written in various languages"

I do not know how many points of entry there are but i do know London is expecting a few people from the World . Europe has circa>200 languages and worldwide any ones guess 2000 to 7000. Not cheap (billboard/printing)even if you limit it to the languages currently used in London and that also presumes they can read.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'