We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

beware of bogus police

finerty

Likes # 0

Bogus Police

Have a good time during the Olympics but bewware of bogus police who try to get £ out of you

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 1

So, while you are waiting for the late arrival of the overcrowded bus/train for which you are going to be charged a small fortune, you'll get nicked and fined by bogus policemen as well.

So very glad I will be many thousands of miles away sinking a few tinnies with some old mates!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I would imagine that it might not break the bank to erect prominent signboards at all points of entry, written in various languages:-

British Police officers will not ask you for payments of any kind, do not pay any money to someone who tells you he/she is a Police Officer.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"it might not break the bank to erect prominent signboards at all points of entry, written in various languages"

I do not know how many points of entry there are but i do know London is expecting a few people from the World . Europe has circa>200 languages and worldwide any ones guess 2000 to 7000. Not cheap (billboard/printing)even if you limit it to the languages currently used in London and that also presumes they can read.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Europe has circa>200 languages and worldwide any ones guess 2000 to 7000.

The most widely spoken languages in the world are:-

Mandarin Chinese, English, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic, Bengali, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, German and French.

That ought to do it - almost everyone will speak and/or understand a little of at least one of those.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Its not unknown for people who are not familiar with UK law to offer a policeman, pcso or parking attendant/traffic warden payment, if they think that they have done wrong. So I suppose this is just an addition of that, which criminals have cottoned onto, especially if you produce 'identification of authority'?.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

You suggest Eleven most widely spoken languages in the world - but we are discussing London - one of the most dense in the world.

You may be correct but i note some Gov bodies quote "translated material into 120 languages."End quote. London spends the most but i could not find out how many languages.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Our local council often boasts about providing information in many many languages, they even suggest that they have qualified translator's readily on hand.

Yet when a friend of mine requested that they conducted his business in Irish Gaelic, the staff called a security guard because he was requesting something that the council couldn't provide, and they then insisted that he was being abusive (arkward) about it :O)

I was a little surprised, considering we have a few generations of Irish in our midst, and many Irish traveller's staying or passing through?.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

spuds

Here in the South West the local police have offered to print information in Cornish - a first language for absolutely nobody and only spoken as an additional language by a few thousand at most.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 1

I would have thought that graphic illustration would be the way to go. A picture of an English bobby with a tourist trying to give him £20 and a big red cross through the £20. That should cover many languages at once.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

canarieslover

I recall putting up signs in Borneo in 1969. They simple showed a man aiming a rifle with a black puff image of smoke coming out of the barrel, and a person in front falling to the ground.

No words were needed, the signs spoke for themselve.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...