We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PM (millionaire)says it morally wrong (tax avoidance)

Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I'm pretty sure the PM will have accountants who's remit will include reducing his tax bill,so for him to publicly state that "tax avoidance,though legal is morally wrong" must be hoping that these celebrities will hear him & decide "Oh,its morally wrong so I'll cough up big wedges of my earnings" I very much doubt it Mr Cameron,they're much more likely to decide,sod the UK & depart for elsewhere taking their money with them.I also expect that Jimmy Carr will use this statement from the PM as the basis for some humourous sketch or joke,that Gary Barlow & other members of the band will setup home in the USA(probably in the same suburb as the Beckhams)

If you were extremely well off,what would you do?

I would find another country to live in,where the weather is nicer more often & only return to the UK for family visits.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

It seems to have worked See Jimmy Carr

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

I realise that actually criticising your Party is always an error (prompts you to go into hatred of everything Labour, mode!) but I carefully avoided any 'Party' reference and had simply said that the PM was wrong to be drawn to make it a 'personal' spat by addressing Carr by name.

Miliband was asked, and was expected to say something - and , in my opinion, was rather more statesmanlike by not naming the individual, but merely saying the government should deal with these matters. Cameron was attempting the 'moral highgound' on an individual- dangerous tactics (IMHO).

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

If I were rich (I'm not!) I would use every legal way possible to remain that way.

Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Even the plebs do it - they call it "allowances". How many on this group do not offset all the allowances they can claim? How many business do not claim vat back? How many do not claim all the hand outs they can get away with - child/NHS/education etc similar thing to what the man has been doing.

If the Gov made tax laws a lot simpler ,and stopped a lot of the hand outs,some of this farce could be avoided.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"If you were extremely well off,what would you do?"

I'm not extremely well off, but I do exactly the same as Carr, I don't intend to pay one penny more than I need to, and anyone who does is a fool as in "A fool and his money ......)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

That's why I employ an accountant, he should at least save me the cost of his fee in tax relief.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member "Can you explain why your Party (see I can be just as childish).."

Why am I 'partisan'(if my remarks were, then FE would surely delete them?). My comments were purely about my PM's reaction to a matter, which I thought was not sensible for him to make. That's partisan?

I can categorically state that I have never voted for a Labour MP in my life, can you say the same about your voting history and the Tory party?

My original post on this topic was not Party political - you introduced that argument, in your usual fashion of always having to be right, whereas anyone else's remarks are part of an 'agenda'.

You really must try and become less paranoid on these matters! (and yes I agree, as you stated, you can be childish!).

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As someone who spent virtually all my working life working for the Government I was off course like most people required to pay my Tax before I got my hands on my hard earned income so Tax avoidance schemes were out of the question. No one likes paying Tax especially when you see so much of it being wasted or going into the pockets of our so called elected politicians.

Anyone who has the chance to "avoid" paying Tax legally then good luck to them and if the Government of the day doesn't like it then let them close the very obvious loopholes which are caused by their bad legislation. If any particular scheme is then deemed illegal then the IR will no doubt try and claw back whatever was due as has recently been witnessed by my Football Club (Although no decision has yet been made).

With regards to our PM's recent outpourings about Mr Carr then he really should know better and just shows his lack of experience. It isn't a case of whatever question he was asked he just should not have made a reply in the form he did.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

This is going to come back and haunt Cameron, when you start being personal about another man's tax then you should inspect your own fathers tax habits first.

Cameron's father wasn't known for paying a penny more than he had to, if he could avoid tax he did. Now why didn't he pick on Gary Barlow who uses a very similar avoidance scheme, forgot he's friends with Cameron.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I think that we should not blame people for being millionaires. We have three neigbours in that category and about another half dozen within five hundred yards. It is Property.

The politicians dropped the Mansion Tax when they realised just how many houses in the southeast and in local hotspots elsewhere were worth over a million. My daughter used to live in Barnes and the average value of houses in her road is believed to be over two million.

Is someone suggesting that the Milliband brothers are not millionaires? I cannot agree that a millionaire cannot be a good politician but he should be careful not to give benifit to his wealthy fellows because of his position.

Much prefer a rich PM to an ex PM who has managed to become a multi millionaire because of his political life.

By the way I am not a millionaire, one lives in hope, but I wish that we had a tax system like Hong Kong where the personal allowance is generous and everything else is taxed at 15%. That would make everything simple and tax avoidance not really worth it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014