We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

locked-in syndrome

carver

Likes # 0

Last night I watched a TV programme about this man Tony Nicklinson and couldn't help but feel for the man.

I've tried to imagine what it must be like for him to have to go through every day having every thing done for him and for the life of me could not see me putting up with the life he has.

To go from a life that was active to what is now no more than a head on a stump unable to do any thing must be one of the worst things going.

On the film last night it was stated that some one with less disability's would have the option of suicide but he does not, what a strange world we live in.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The program was very interesting and moving, especially as it shown people who were perhaps decision makers, and how they saw things.

What also came across, was how this person was getting very upset when he was involved with people who may have had slightly different views and opinions. Yet this person wasn't able to express any real opinions except distortion of facial expression or though a computer voice machine.

Whether a verdict as to resolving the issues raised is made later this week, then we will have to wait and see.

One thing that I did ask myself, is how Tony Nicklinson compared to similar cases, perhaps others who are just as disabled but able to still communicate with outstanding works of science and the universe?.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was written by Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffered from Locked-In Syndrome after a massive stroke

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Have heard much about Tony Nicklinson on our local news. I feel it would be unjust to not allow him to have his life ended when he feels he can no longer tolerate his life. If he were capable of ending his life himself he would be allowed to do so.

How he compares with other cases is, I believe, irrelevant. Just because some people can cope with being locked-in, does not mean all can.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I experienced being 'locked in' twice, on different occasions, during the night while half awake/asleep.

I could see the surroundings of my bed-room...but I was unable to move.

It was very frightening.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I struggle to imagine anything worse than being in this man's situation, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him. His wife seems to have an eminently sensible approach to the subject of whether or not she could kill him, should the decision go the way he wants it to. She said in an interview today that she wishes with all her heart that her husband would change his mind, but she knows he will not, and she's ready to do what is necessary for him when the time comes.

Sometimes, when contemplating one's own troubles in life it's worth remembering what people like this have to contend with, and realising that perhaps things aren't as bad as they might seem.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"she's ready to do what is necessary for him when the time comes."

Courageous woman.

I have often pondered my response should my wife make this request of me, as, I suspect, have many carers.

I still don't know what my answer would be.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It's the same with pets.

Many people will spend huge amounts of money keeping pets alive, but are they suffering unnecessarily?

Are we helping the pet, or are we helping ourselves. We don't want to be lonely so we keep the pet alive.

Pretty much the same with a family member but magnified...

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

"Sometimes, when contemplating one's own troubles in life it's worth remembering what people like this have to contend with, and realising that perhaps things aren't as bad as they might seem."

So very true.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Courage comes in all shapes and manners, and a particular part of this program was of a female with MS who took the decision to end her own life. Which according to her father, must have been due to sheer strength and determination in her final moments.

If you can get a replay of the program, then its well worth a watching. not only was it produced well, but it also brought the message across, from various angles and with varied opinions.

Perhaps the major point of all this, is that you can be quite healthy one moment, enjoying life with perhaps a couldn't care attitude, and the next moment your world as seemingly gone completely upside down, and you can do very little about it, until?.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Whilst I sympathise with this man & his family,why not travel to Switzerland & visit one of the clinics there specifically allowed to do this service? Probably much cheaper than fighting the laws of the land.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer