We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Father's Day

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Aren't I lucky. I was allowed to get up at 8 and take breakfast back to bed for me and the other half. She's also going to let me cook lunch and then make the tea. I'm spoilt!

Did get a Kindle as a pressy from my children in Oz though.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One daughter is in the air on her way to Santorini. Another is working, as is my son.

They all phoned, and cards arrived, so I'm happy. I know it all started with Sonora Dodd, back at the turn of the 20th century, but I suspect it was really given impetus by a retail industry that saw the revenue potential.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I believe it was Hallmark cards that decided to make it a commercial money spinner around the mid '70s. As far as being a commercial enterprise goes, it's been a huge success.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

It was a commercial money spinner long before Hallmark cards got hold of it. Not in this country perhaps, but it became a commercial event back in the 1930s in America.

It was first recognised by the American government in 1956, but you're right about its beginnings in this country - that happened in the mid to late 1970s.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

My son gave me a lovely leather holder for my Kindle and there was also some information about a little light attachment you could get to fit in the holder. Before I give it further thought has anyone on here used one of the Kindle light attachments?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Condom. Yes I have used the light from Kindle and in my opinion it is rubbish. I got a much better one from Aldi, which in fact is a kiddies "Thomas The Tank Engine" clip on light. I think it cost about four quid. Keep your eye open for the next time they sell them because Aldi seem to do things in spurts. One week will be fishing gear, the next week cycling kit etc.

So far I haven't had a word from any of my children. But then maybe that's because I have been out most of the day. But no cards, no phone messages. Nothing. "Nobody loves me any more".... All together now ..."Ahhh!"

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I remember when my Kids were very young I used to get my breakfast in bed,Burnt Toast and a soft boiled egg.A box of Maltesers and a bottle of Irn Bru.

My wife and I would kid on that we loved our breakfast and the 2 kids would get tore into the Maltesers and Irn Bru.

My daughter who is now in her 40's still gives me the Maltezers and Irn-Bru along with whatever Pressie that she brings.It always brings back a few memories of them when they were younger.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Ever since my son was old enough to be told he has been under pain of death not to participate in this entirely retail led bogus festival.

Mothering Sunday is a Christian religious festival.

Father's Day is pure consumerism.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I was pretty well estranged from my son for the best part of 10 years when his then wife kept him from seeing us. Luckily he eventually saw the light and divorced her and now we are back in contact again. We had a long phone call with him this morning followed by an hour on Skype with our daughter in Texas. The contact is all I need, I have no need for presents or cards - although I did get two cards and an ecard from our granddaughter in China. A good day....

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Well, in the end one of my sons called around to borrow a few screwdrivers and a hammer. (must be a big DIY job broke out). "By the way, Dad" quoth he, "I had a bottle of rum to bring around but forgot it. Happy Father's Day" and off he trotted. I suppose it (the rum) might turn up in time for next Father's Day, but I ain't betting on it.

God only knows when I will get the tools back.

No sign of my other son as of yet, my daughter phoned last night but never mentioned Father's Day. Still it's not midnight yet.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Condom

I tried one of the Kindle lights,and wasn't impressed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten