We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

want to buy and Olympic Ticket "wink wink"

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

It appears that you can buy Olympic tickets for any event you want and if you are prepared to pay enough can even buy a ticket for the 100 mtr final BBC news and another here SKY news.

Now why am I not surprised that you can buy black market tickets for this event, all they have done is take the sale of these tickets from the street corner tout and cut out the middle man.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

ams4127

"Surely if they were really the UK games, the arenas should have been built somewhere nearer to the middle of the country, so that everyone could get to them without being robbed rotten."

You don't understand the way it works. The Games aren't awarded to a country, but to a city. A country's National Olympic Committee chooses the city that it will put forward for the bidding process. If a city wants to be considered it must make representations to its National Committee.

If a city nearer to the centre of the country wanted to be considered it could have made a bid for selection. Which English city would you suggest as having the necessary infrastructure and financial resources?

You say that the transport argument doesn't hold water, so I ask again - which city has the resources and infrastructure capable of handling the numbers of people visiting the games, and places for them to stay? There will be five million UK spectators, half a million international spectators, 90,000 Games family members and a 200,000 workforce. That's a total of almost 5.8 million people staying at and/or travelling to the games - more than double the population of the Greater Manchester urban area.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Ah, that is something I hadn't realised FE. I understood that the games were awarded to a country which then decided where they would take place. My apologies.

As to transport....If, say, the game had been awarded to Manchester, then there are many airports within fairly close proximity which, between them, could easily have coped with the expected influx of people. One airport trying to do everything my be too much. What precautions are ther if, God forbid, there were to be an aircraft crash which disables Heathrow completely?. My biggest fear is that the London transport system, currently being held to ransom by bus drivers, will not be able to cope.

Anyway, I am sure your taxes have been well spent. Enjoy the archery.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

ams4127

"My biggest fear is that the London transport system, currently being held to ransom by bus drivers, will not be able to cope."

I'm with you on that - I think the London Underground system will fail to cope. It's a living hell at certain times of the day as it is, and having an extra few hundred thousand people or so riding the trains at peak times, and wandering in the stations, unsure of which platforms they need, is going to overload the system to breaking point in my opinion.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I don't remember having these problems at the last Olympics held in London.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I was listening to local radio earlier,& they were discussing the torch.Many people questioned why there are so many torches,and when asked if they'd like to see a torch stated no.There were very few responses of "it's a once in a lifetime we can see an actual torch" and most were saying they were already sickened of hearing about the Olympics.My own opinion is,I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyes than watch an event at these Olympics,and I'm glad that the majority of the events are taking place several hundred miles away where I won't be put out accomodating people taking part.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I can't name ONE British athlete or boxer or archer taking part in the London Olympics.It's going to be one big yawn...for me. In the 70's and 80's Olympics, I would be able to 'reel off' a list of world-class athletes from UK.

Like this post
roy

Likes # 0

AitchBEE I think I'm with you on that one.

Bingalau That is certainly true.

As a point of interest I went to Herne Hill (cycle track in South London) to see some of the cycling events. Remember Reg Harris? We paid at the door to get in as far as I remember! My Dad was paying.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I remember Reg Harris very well, I actually spoke to him once. My wife was a very keen cyclist and a member of a very good cycling club. She introduced me to him way back in the fifties. I also remember Beryl Burton as the leading female cyclist of her day. She was brilliant and would give today's girls a run for their money.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Not so much about buying 'wink wink' tickets, but more about selling 'Olympic' items.

In one of yesterdays newspapers, there was an large accountancy firm who were warning people about selling Olympic items like the torches, on places like eBay. Basically what they were saying, that if the item gained 'high value', then the tax people might be very interested and keen on possibly claiming taxes from that sale.

So beware, big brother might be watching you, especially if you have not declared something, and that includes people claiming benefits who suddenly get rich?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes