We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blurred TV Captions

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

The main picture is crisp and clear but the 'red button' caption is blurred as are many of the information bars at the bottom of the screen and 'Teletext' when selected with the 'red button'. Sometimes it will clear to become a clean caption and then drift off again. Is this another of the 'joys' of digital TV transmissions along with loss of signal due to rain etc.?

With analogue all the screen content was clear but now part of it it is like periods of a news broadcast where the cameraman is incapable of getting the shot in focus 'for legal reasons'!!

Do others suffer this problem or know of any cure?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 1

The caption blurring is on all channels and it will vary from clear and legible to very blurred and illegible. At the same time the main picture remains clear and sharp. If I watch the same channels via a recorder the same problem is apparent. This indicates to me the problem is signal related.

morddwyd

Not quite sure what you mean, "Used to be a "convergence" problem in the old CRT days" my TV is CRT rather than 'flat screen' and is capable of receiving both analogue and digital signals. Prior to the analogue shut down, all captions on both were clear - this problem has only become apparent since only a digital signal is available.

wiz-king

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. To tune the set there is a menu item that searches out all channels available and locks them into 'memory'. To my knowledge there is no manual 'fine tuning' for individual channels - the manual tuning is only for all channels as far as I can make out. If I select either 301 (with picture) or 302 (shows text about 2012 Olympics only) they are both blurred for the text as any other channel. Does this mean there is a fault in the TV? If it's of help the TV is a Sony Trinitron KD-28DL11U.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Not quite sure what you mean, "Used to be a "convergence" problem in the old CRT days" "

In as CRT there are three colour "guns " firing at the screen, and they have to be aligned fairly accurately.

It was not unusual, particularly on cheaper tubes (which did not necessarily apply to the price of the set!) for this accuracy to drop off towards the edge of the curved screen, and blurring to occur at the margins.

However, since the fault is intermittent with you it is unlikely to be the cause of your problem.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I see what you mean. But as I said in my original post the main picture is crisp so it must be something to do with the secondary/overlay information which (presumably) is a separate transmission to the main picture. Although I do accept the 'red button' caption is top right and the other information is generally to the lower edge.

But this is further confused by selecting 302 (as wiz-king suggested - I think) and finding a grey background with white text the whole of which is 'fuzzy'.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm confused. With a digital service you do not get Teletext, that is with analogue only, but instead get digital text services. Not sure how you are accessing 301 and 302. Are you using digital and analogue? I don't lose signal due to rain. I've had, had to have, digital for 2 years or so and no snags.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

105, 301, 302 are the channels that have the 'red button' signals. At the moment I have the torch rely live on 301 and a black and white 'advert' for the Olympic coverage on 302. so if you press the red button while watching BBC 1 it switches you to 301 for the torch relay. These signals are transmitted at a slightly lower data rate than the main channels as they also contain the 'teletext' info, the switching is done in your TV.

If they are blurred there is something wrong with your TV.

With 302 at the moment - the torch relay - the captions are crisp and sharp but the long view from the camera car/bike is slightly out of focus for very close objects ie the cars that are parked at the side of the rosd close to the camera but fine for the main objects.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Many thanks.

I think you have confirmed my fear; my trusty(?) TV is on the blink!

Now is the time to ask whether it is worth getting it repaired or simply replace it. I know that some repairs are expensive - in time if not parts - and as much as I like the TV's looks it is getting old (7 years). Do you have an opinion?

Woolwell

It is totally digital. I used the term 'Teletext' to define the type of service; hence the inverted commas. Our analogue signal was cut a while ago and we are near the edge of two transmitter services which causes the signals from either to be less than perfect for a lot of people. As a result many have opted for the satellite service. Those of us on the terrestrial still suffer quite a bit of pixelation during bad weather.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Repairs are expensive and the amount of warranty you get sometimes is next to worthless. TV's are mainly circuit boards and the old ones can be nearly as much as a new TV

You said the main picture was still good so just put up with it until the set goes completely, or get a stronger pair of glasses.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

get a stronger pair of glasses

Doesn't help if what you are looking at is already blurred. All you see is the blurred bit clearer!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

More water required?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

More water required?

I wish. Cheaper and more fun than buying a new TV!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance