We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blurred TV Captions

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

The main picture is crisp and clear but the 'red button' caption is blurred as are many of the information bars at the bottom of the screen and 'Teletext' when selected with the 'red button'. Sometimes it will clear to become a clean caption and then drift off again. Is this another of the 'joys' of digital TV transmissions along with loss of signal due to rain etc.?

With analogue all the screen content was clear but now part of it it is like periods of a news broadcast where the cameraman is incapable of getting the shot in focus 'for legal reasons'!!

Do others suffer this problem or know of any cure?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

get a stronger pair of glasses

Doesn't help if what you are looking at is already blurred. All you see is the blurred bit clearer!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

More water required?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

More water required?

I wish. Cheaper and more fun than buying a new TV!!!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Joking now firmly aside as I need serious help.

Given that wiz-king provided some very good pointers earlier, perhaps, if he sees this he may offer more good advice.

I have studied the picture very carefully over the past couple of days and although it is the text that shows up most as being blurred it is the whole of the right hand side of the screen that is affected - because of movement it is less visible in the picture.

I have located a full service manual for the TV which I have downloaded and read (well most of it) especially pages 20 to 23 which specifically refer to focus adjustment and circuit adjustments. The former requires entry into the case the latter can be carried out using the handset.

The focus adjustment (page 20) looks very much a cure for the problem but I would appreciate a qualified opinion and any advice before I start digging inside the set.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Turn the TV off

Un-plug from mains and leave for 10 min.

Take the back off and remove as much dust as you can with a hoover.

Plug in and switch on - you should hear the degaussing 'thump'.

Then adjust the 'focus' with an insulated screwdriver.

Keep fingers crossed. grin

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Thanks for coming back.

I did the job this morning. Removal of the back was simple and the inside was amazingly clean given its seven years of use - no fluff and only light dust. The tube had a greasy black dirt on it; probably from the materials in the back and heat.

Adjustment was fun. Text is now much clearer on the right and slightly less so on the left, but overall much better. Interesting also is the picture appears clearer. However I did notice that on the white at the very edges of the screen there was a little distortion and the individual colours were visible as a band - probably morddwyd's description of convergence. Whether there is any mileage in attempting any other adjustment I'm not certain as the set is watchable and I'm no TV engineer!!

Thanks for your help.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Quit while you are ahead!

Start saving for a new set - I changed from a 26" CRT to a flat-screen LCD last year and the difference was enormous, I hadn't realised how bad the old CRT screen had become.

Like this post  
johndrew

Likes # 0

I'm already saving for a larger screen and have seen what I should like to buy, but they are far from the cheapest household item and this set will need to last for at least another three months. Now the picture is improved I have hopes this will be the case.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Re-reading this thread I realise how old I am getting!

signs of age :-

telling someone how to adjust a TV --- just throw it away

save for a new set --- put it on the credit card & pay later

degaussing the screen --- not a problem with LCDs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites