We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Postieto leave your parel next door

SparkyJack

Likes # 0

A news item today suggests that postmen-ladies are be allowed to seek to leave mail with neighbour if it cannot be deliverd to the intended address.

My postie has done this with items that would not go into my letterbox for years.

Does this mean he has been breaking the rules all this time? ! Or perhaps they are bowing to already common practice

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I'm with you on this one I thought that was the standard practice, that is what the cards are for that they post through letting you know which house took it in for you!

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

This is bad news.

If I order something which I know will be too big to go through the letterbox I always have it delivered to my office.

I don't know my neighbours and don't want anything left with my neighbours.

A backward step.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Clapton is God if you addressed the item to your office then it will still go to your office why would they take it to your neighbours?

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

To echo Strawballs To specify an address that will be available to receive the item is the way to if your neighbour is not ideal [not to suggest a neighbour may dishonest they too may out a lot]

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

'I don't know my neighbours'

That seems a bit antisocial! :-)

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

What happens whne the neighbour is out and their neoghbour is out etc etc and so on do they then take the parcel back to the depot

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

Strawballs

Err, large parcels that I haven't ordered but have been sent to me by someone else, perhaps???

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I'm in two minds about this.

If you live next door to the estate crime lords then you are unlikely to ever get your post. I wonder if there's a way to tell Royal Mail that under no circumstances should they do this.

With regards to the postie already doing this, then yes, they've been breaking the rules unless you have a prior agreement for your mail to be redirected.

I should say that at my last address, the first time I ever met my neighbour, after five years, was to collect a parcel that had been left at their house. I never saw them again, although I was there for another nine years...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Been doing it for years in area where I live. It works well as postie always puts a note through to say where he's left parcel.

I suppose if you don't want postie to do that then a notice on your door to say so would be sufficient.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Don't panic, it seems you are going to be asked ClickHere

"Royal Mail said it will write to every address in the UK this Autumn asking them if they will be happy for their neighbours to receive their undelivered packages.

Importantly no one – particular householders who have a prickly relationship with a neighbour – will be forced to accept the new arrangement. "

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July