We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Royal mail not quite got the idea

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

Recently if I have ordered some thing from the internet I have had an SMS message telling me that the item will be delivered on a certain day and even the time slot that has been allocated for it, normally a 1 hour slot.

Today had a SMS message from Royal Mail, the message reads.

Royal Mail received your parcel from xxxxxx and will attempt to deliver it today.

No time given not even an estimate of will it be here in the morning or even the afternoon, I don't think they have really grasped the idea of this message service yet.

It's no wonder that Royal Mail are struggling, the other month I had to return an item that had died to Denmark, Royal Mail took 10 day to deliver the item and DPD took 2 days to return it.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

alan14 Still way too slow, they get get items to me that have been posted the other end of the country through various sorting offices but takes the same amount of time to get back half a mile, he must have one hell of a round!!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

The simple fact is they don't care, since April last year at least 20 letters sent to me from various parts of the country have failed to arrive, letters sent from Hospitals to my doctors, same road have failed to arrive, letters sent by them to hospitals and patients have faied to arrive, twice complained told they are lost in the post, yeah in 40 years approx 4 failed to get to me now 20 in a year all RM did was send 20 lost letter forms. Complained to Ombudsman and RM said it was nothng to do with him. They are correct someone at the sorting office is dumping mail a criminal offence which they or the Police should investigate but no one wants to know.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

No mail if it rains now in my home town, No Rainy Day Deliveries That's even more lost the plot I think, no wonder the independent couriers are thriving so much.

A no rainy day delivery policy will rule out about 50% of delivery days in this country this year!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Rainy Days And Mondays....always get me down ;o[

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I once had a parcel not delivered because "the driver couldn't find your address". I had called the delivery office because the delivery was overdue, and this was the answer I got from them. If I hadn't called it would have been returned to the sender.

My house is directly behind the road name sign with the number in 4" high characters on the wall.

I suggested that perhaps postal vans should be equipped with an A to Z.

I another instance a parcel from USA was not delivered and we didn't have a card left despite the fact that we were at home on the day they said they had attempted delivery. The result was that he parcel was returned to the sender and cost them another $26.00 on top of the original postage.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

I wish Rm has a presence on this forum. Perhaps that's a pie in the sky thing to hope for!!

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

To be cynical might they be running it down so it can be privatised completely for a penny(?) and someone would then make a killing.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

At once upon a time you could make an independent complaint via PostWatch, who were very efficient in resolving problems, but now all problems are dealt with 'in-house', and that is were further problems occur.

I queried why Royal Mail leave cards stating quite clearly that items have been left with 'designated neighbours', yet Royal Mail have clearly told me that they do not provide this service. And that's from the top!.

With regards to the 24 hour waiting period for collections. I have found that some post-persons who live near their daily rounds, might take the items home, then hand the item in the next day. But according to rules, this should never happen. There is also a change regarding non-delivery, and that might include collecting the item from the nearest post office chosen by the post-person. Both Royal Mail and ParcelForce are now doing this, but some of the post offices are not very happy, due to lack of storage space and extra administration.

Perhaps it will soon get to the point, that all mail and postal items will have to be collected from a centre area collecting point. They do this already in some countries, so I am sure the powers in being are or have already looked into this?.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

rickf

Last year I read in our local newspaper an article from a senior area manager of Royal Mail, that was in response to a number of complaints being made. That article was utter nonsense, and through the newspaper, I made certain challenges to this person, as did other people. Never did receive a response from this person who had praised Royal Mail services .

Because it was evident, that he could not respond to the hornets nest he had just upset, and possibly justify his position as a senior representative of Royal Mail?.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Strawballs

There's dedicated machinery in place to move parcels across the country, whereas in the sorting office you've usually just got a single member of staff who has to sort the returns and deal with customers at the counter

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...