We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New anti-spam filters in action [updated]

Matt Egan

Likes # 0

Hi guys, as I'm sure you've noticed we are under spam attack.

We have now set up filters to prevent these 'Live streaming' stories posting, but you may have to bear with us while we get on top of what is proving a pretty hardcore attack.

We're hoping these filters will:

(1) block such spam

(2) not affect normal posting

If you do have problems posting on the forum please let us know (for now, email either me or Matt Egan - details on the Contact Us page). If possible please restrict notifications to errors resulting from the new spam filters rather than historical complaints about the forum design etc - at least while we try to repel this attack.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience.

Matt

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

A new lot in Absolute Beginners!!

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Round them up Simon and we'll help you set-up a firing squad!

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Sorry, that should be Matt and Simon.

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

We are, in many ways, interchangeable (but he's the boss!)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Meanwhile, I can only sit, powerless, on the sidelines, and watch the proceedings. It's a new experience for me, and intensely frustrating.

Thanks to those of you who have emailed me, and apologies for my lack of response. I'll be back in London late on Thursday afternoon, but Matt will have things wrapped up long before then.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

I've amended the first post in this thread, following the implementation of new spam filters.

We have now set up filters to prevent these 'Live streaming' stories posting, but you may have to bear with us while we get on top of what is proving a pretty hardcore attack.

We're hoping these filters will:

(1) block such spam

(2) not affect normal posting

If you do have problems posting on the forum please let us know (for now, email either me or Matt Egan - details on the Contact Us page). If possible please restrict notifications to errors resulting from the new spam filters rather than historical complaints about the forum design etc - at least while we try to repel this attack.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Still getting the popup streaming *&%$$!

WTM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

While I'm at it, should there be any streaming video on the forum pages? I'm not going to rehash the old argument about adverts, but streaming video I find is consuming precious bandwidth at a time when my alleged 20M connection is limping along at not much better than dial up speeds.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more