We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Social Services to visit Dave?

interzone55

Likes # 0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18391663

Innocent mistake I know, but if it was someone off a council estate they'd have Social Services round in no time

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Sometimes attitudes amaze me.

On the one hand political leaders are castigated for not being in touch with reality, and then, when they do something as normal as having a pub lunch with a few friends and their children they are treated like criminals for making the kind of mistake that millions have made.

No harm came to this child, and I'm sure her parents were mortified when they realised what had happened. There are far more important things for us all to be concerned about.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

A ridiculous about a ridiculous non-story.

The media stirring things up to make a mountain out of a pin-head.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Nothing should happen as regards th eprotection team. They are not the child's parents.

And Condom is right.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Namtas

You've decided that my response was unjustified, and you've decided that it was a criticism. If you bothered to read it carefully, rather than jumping in with a display of your personal bias you would see that I simply said I wasn't sure what the originator's point was, and asked why, as there was an acknowledgement of an innocent mistake, it was necessary for there to be a discussion.

You're entitled to make your own contribution, but have the good grace not to do precisely what you (wrongly) blamed me for doing, and make an unjustified and totally unnecessary criticism.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

What I find surprising is that, according to later TV news, the incident happened several weeks ago. So the questions that go through my mind is who told the story to the media and why?

The news article from alan14 and repeated on television stated that "Downing Street said no protection officers would face disciplinary action over the incident...." Another question - why on earth should they?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"why on earth should they?"

I suppose you could say that the duty of the special branch bodyguards is to safeguard the Prime Minister and his family, if they are present. That being the case, I can understand a degree of concern. The real point here is that there was a misunderstanding between the parents, and I guess that David Cameron has indicated that no blame should attach to Special Branch officers.

It happened weeks ago, but now it has come to light, and of course it's a gift as far as the media are concerned.

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

When my kids were younger it was my responsibility to ensure their safety. No one else. I never assumed anything.

I doubt very much that is an uncommon attitude among responsible parents so I find a few remarks made here a bit strange, "many of us have "misplaced" our children from time to time" and "making the kind of mistake that millions have made".

How many people here have ever left their kid in a pub?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I once 'forgot' about my little brother when we were on a family holiday in Saltcoats (a west of Scotland sea-side holiday resort) in 1965. I was 11 and my little brother 5. It was my fault he wandered off, as I was too interested in trying to win ROLL-A-PENNY at the amusements! He was found, safe and sound, and is now a Black-Cab Taxi Driver in London...who has done 'The Knowledge'

It's funny how things work out.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"How many people here have ever left their kid in a pub?"

Not in a pub, but outside Woolworths in his pram for twenty minutes.

We were actually at home having a cup of tea when we realised the baby was a bit quiet.

Maybe we haven't all done it, but a hell of a lot of us have!

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

My Mother had many a scare when we were children as my Father was very absent-minded.My sister was frequently forgotten about and left at dancing class(even after the dance school had phoned asking where he was)my brother was left outside many shops and I was frequently lost(in Yugoslavia,I ended up in a Nudist Camp next door to the campsite with an 8ft fence between me and our tent)yet I too became a taxi-driver.My partner lost my daughter when shopping in Woolworths(she was 4yrs)and the terror that grips you until you find a missing child is unbearable.My daughter simply wandered up to the taxi-rank where other taxi-drivers(who all knew her)looked after her until I returned from a run(at warp-factor 9 as I'd received a call from my partner saying she was missing)That said,I don't have a security team looking after me so I might be inclined to ask how could the PM's daughter be left behind and leave it at that.If however,something untoward had occurred to his daughter the Camerons would've been distraught and the security team would probably be sacked/reviewed and we'd hear the oft quoted mantra "lessons will be learned"

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more