We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

security sensor lamp

rickf

Likes # 0

Hi All, I have a sensor lamp outside my house which has stopped working. Been told that I need to replace the whole lamp and cannot just replace the bulb. Is this true?Thanks

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

The lamps/tubes are easily available from Poundshop or similar. Usually one screw at the top of the lamp unit, undo, and push the old tube to the left or right to extract, and replace with the new one. Easy peasy. Make sure the electric supply is turned off first ! The dud tube can usually be recognised by the black deposit inside the glass. If that doesn't do the trick then a complete new unit is needed.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

This lamp has'nt got a tube but uses a round bulb. So are you saying I don't have to change the whole lamp if it is not faulty?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Obviously depends on what is wrong

lamps can be changed as they are an expendable item.

However sometimes the movement or light sensor fails and is non replaceable.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

You are probably using a 60w standard bulb type unit with a sensor attachment fitted into a 'lantern' type system?.

Check the bulb, if okay, then hold your hand or anything suitable, so as to block out the light from the sensor unit, which might be a pin hole or something much larger. If the light doesn't come on, then its the sensor or light wiring faulty. Due to the cheapness of these items, best to then replace with new.

If its a big bulb type (possibly 2 bulbs) pointing in different directions, then replace the whole lot, the replacement bulbs can be expensive.

Have a look at Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com or Toolstation http://www.toolstation.com

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Thanks that's really helpful spuds. Will check when it's not raining.You're right its the latern type and it lookos like a 60w ordinary bulb. Only moved in here last year so had no occasion to fiddle with it b4.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'