We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Identification Longshot/Talking Point 679

Brumas
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good Evening All.

The following set of six are GENUINE UNIDENTIFIED POSTCARDS with the usual bog standard back and are, of course frustratedly unposted!

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

I'm turning in now, G'Night All.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There seems to be a crest of sort on the gates. I thought that it resembled that for New College, Oxford but the buildings do not match.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

There seems to be a lot of small stone crosses as finials - could it be a religious training place, or at least a school or college with a strong Christian input?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

A seminary would account for the cloisters and the crosses.Looking for one...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

john bunyan - Christian input occurred to me too but I'm stuck with the towers. Are they actually observatories?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Woolwell

The top of one is glazed, but is it an observatory? Many colleges have a Christian origin, so I still lean towards a University college, but have looked at most of Oxbridge with no exact matches

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

There seems to be a lozenge shapes coat of arms above an entrance, but Photoshop filters etc cannot enhance it enough to see it clearly.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Looks like Epsom college but tower not quite right.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Would agree with Christian, but I thought some of the features had a definite Moorish touch about them, just a hint.

I have seen similar features in British influenced areas of the Middle East.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The TV series on C4 from 1987:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porterhouse_Blue

and

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092428/

echo the architecture of Brumas's postcards.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There could be a figure holding an orb and sceptre above the door way in the second photo. There is a tall mast/flagpole on top of the building.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?