We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A cautionary tale

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

In my web wanderings I came across this tale of woe on the subject of dust and hard drives. It may be more towards the Helproom if anyone has this type of problem - which I hope not - but certainly one for any who are considering home improvements.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I will never understand people who place their pc tower on the floor, especially on a thick carpet, and not think about it sucking in dust and fibres..... made me chuckle (well duh) that he'd spent £'s on new components without even opening the case first to have a look.

Like this post  
interzone55

Likes # 0

When I worked in PC repair we used to have a vacuum cleaner under the bench to suck up the dust and hair that would enshroud the internal organs of many PCs.

We found that smokers PCs would be the worst, as they tended to be a bit sticky from the nicotine.

The Register has many photographs of shockingly filthy PCs

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/13/ventblockers/

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I had a disagreement with one of our managers about putting PCs on the floor, he wanted them under the desks so they looked neater, I wanted them on the desks where they were less liable to get full of dust and fluff. I won when his PC stopped with a cooking smell and the case and fan were clogged up with crud.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I've always thought that quite a few deserve to be renamed with the insertion of a hyphen 'man-agers'.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

smokers PCs would be worst

my sister smokes quite heavily and she uses my old netbook to play solitaire on,she hates the W7 version,when i mention to her about the smoke damage she just shrugs and when i clean it the crud really does stick.

Hate to imagine what her innards are like never mind the PCs.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I frequently dismantle my PC's and clean out the innards as I've noticed that the fans become quite loud once they've gathered a layer of crud along the blades leading edges.The fans get done about every 3mths & the whole machine is dismantled (front covers off) every 6mths.I have had hard drives fail from excessive heat(SATA drives are much hotter in use than IDE)and now have "Motherboard Monitor" installed on all my PC's,which informs me my graphics card GPU spends lots of its life above 65C despite my best attempts to keep it cooler.My previous PC had so many extra fans added by me trying to keep its components cooler that switch on was like listening to a hovercraft starting up(and it still ate hard drives within 2yrs)Fortunately,the drives in this machine have a 3yrs warranty so whenever they fail(on my 3rd)they are boxed up and sent back & I receive a replacement soon after for no cost other than postage.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Some of the keyboards I'm expected to use in the course of my work should come with a health warning - the amount if filth on them defies belief. I often wonder what the homes of the regular users are like. It takes five minutes to clean a keyboard once in a while, but these people can't be bothered - probably because it's not their property.

Like this post
wolfie3000

Likes # 0

As a smoker myself iv never had dust problems, I put this down to 2 things, firstly I keep the room well ventilated and also as a gamer my pc fans are on all the time,

My pc tends to get a bit hot so I have alot of fans installed to keep it as cool as i can, I keep an eye on how much dusty gets into it too,

As for my keyboard it gets replaced more often than a normal users keyboard due to the WASD keys getting over used and breaking.

So really dust and dirt isnt an issue for me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features