We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Rain stopped falling

QuietPerson

Likes # 0

I see in today's news they are again considering rationing water by cost. What do the panel think of the idea? Is it because the rain has stopped falling!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I thought this was already in place and called water meters.

Like this post
QuietPerson

Likes # 0

JohnDrew - meters only apply to a small number of houses at the current time.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"rationing water by cost" Water is a Utility, same as Electric and Gas, it costs money to process it ready for delivery to homes. You should pay for what you use. Forced rationing only applies if there is shortage. This ensures that all get at least some of the available supply.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

According to the Environment Agency around 30% of households have a water meter. That is hardly a small number of houses. In some areas, I expect where there are high water bills eg South West, that figure is over 50%. People in houses with a meter nearly always use less water.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

My water meter cut my bill by quite a bit so I am in favour of it. It helps that there are only 2 of us living there so usage is low (and I have 5 water butts for the garden!). Larger families are less likely to be in favour because their usage would be so much more.

Of course, I may change my mind if I am ever rich enough to afford a house with a swimming pool. But I suppose if I am rich enough for a pool, water rates will be of no consequence.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I suppose I had better try again to find that leak in my garden pond. One of the great problems we have in the UK is that all our water is processed at very high cost to drinking standards yet only a small fraction is actually used for drinking purposes.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

It has been my opinion, for a long time, that water meters for all should be compulsory.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

My water bill was reduced by approximately half by going onto a water meter.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

By coincidence Radio Devon had a piece on water saving this lunchtime. The SWW rep stated that 75% of houses in Devon have water meters and this is probably the highest ratio in the country. You can also get a separate sub-meter for the garden. The attraction of that is that there are no sewage/rainwater run off charges for that meter. However it was also stated that for most users this option was not economically viable.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

No-one will ever take a water shortage seriously in this country while we continue to use 6 litres of pure drinking water to flush half a pint (or so) of urine several times a day.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...