We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I bet you wish you had saved that comic

carver
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just seen this tintin and remembered all those comics I threw away in the fiftys and sixties and even some from the 40's that had belonged to my brother and sisters.

But hindsight is so wonderful, if only I had kept my Lotus Cortina instead of swapping it for a mini.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Marvel-lous

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

That's the problem nowadays. Yesterdays junk might be today's treasure trove.

I have been watching some programs on Freeview and the Quest channel in particular. Auction Hunter and Pawn Star being two such programs, and it's been very surprising as to what as value and what does not in today's market, and how the expert's decide what is genuine and what is not.

I would class myself as rather an horder (there's even a recent television program on that subject), but on occasions I have got rid of things that I regretted doing later. But storage space can come at a premium, and plastic type shopping bags do fall apart after a time?.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

From what I hear on various antique shows,what was worth lots a few years ago is now worth only a few pounds.Case in point being furniture,a writing desk that once was worth several thousand pounds is now often classed as "brown furniture" and earns less than £100.There are still some weird variances though,a vase that was bought for 50p at a car boot sale can suddenly attract insane bidding and recoup several hundred pounds or be valued at £100 and not sell.

I did used to enjoy watching antique shows,but now the TV schedule seems to be inundated with them and to break the monotony of antique shows there's cookery shows so lately,my TV spends more time switched off than on.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

carver

Now your talking. The Lotus Cortina brings back such wonderful memories. I had a strange one in that it was a Mark II 1600E with the Lotus twin cam engine in it. Far too powerful for the brakes despite the twin anti roll bar and an absolute delight to drive. Pity about the rust round the wheel arches and the McPherson struts. At least I know it went to a very good home as I saw it years later looking like new and I swapped it for the owners lovely Citroen CX Prestige

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

How did we get from comics to cars? I remember buying the very first Beano, but at about nine years old I wasn't then a collector. My brother used to buy the Dandy and between us if we had kept those first ones, we could have retired. What am I talking about, I am retired.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Not entirely off topic as the poster did say he wished he had kept his Lotus Cortina.

I know my son (now nearly 45)has many hundreds of "comics" stored in special covers in our loft and I'm pretty sure they are not there for our benefit. Perhaps I should start charging him rent.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Bingalau I was trying to demonstrate that an item that I sold for a couple of hundred pounds in the early 70's because I didn't see the potential it had, to become a collectors item that would now be worth thousands lotus for sale and who would have thought that a comic could fetch £1 million

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Way back, in the early early sixties, I used to swap comics with Gilbert, who lived on the same close.Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, The Flash, John Johns. The WAR comic Commando was a smaller, chunkier read...with German words in jagged bubble word holders, and was an early introduction to the real-world of grown-ups.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Old comics? - wow, they'd go down well in this new, enlightened PC age.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

I kept Look & Learn, Eagle, Treasure and my dads War Illustrated but not TV21 or Joe 90 magazine. Guess which ones are worth money in good nick.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...