We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to post a new thread

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm sorry that some of you have experienced problems with starting a new thread - over the past 24 hours or so you may have been confronted with a message telling you that you must use at least five words in your thread title.

This was a new feature that we introduced rather hurriedly, and it hasn't worked as well as we had hoped. For that reason we are going to disable it, and revert to our previous system, at least in the short term. I'm hoping that will happen very soon, but it's a weekend, and that may mean it takes a little longer.

In the meantime, try to use a five-word thread title, and all should be well. Thanks for your patience while we sort this out.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 1

If this has to be could I suggest a MAXIMUM length as well. I find I tend to skip over the threads with very long titles. Don't know why, perhaps I just get bored with reading them. With shorter titles its easy to skim down the list and pick the ones that interest me, the longer ones tend to get ignored.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 1

Forum Editor well, whatever you, and the boys in the backroom did, it worked - let's hope it will remain gremlin-free for the rest of the holidays.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

The idea behind this was to get more descriptive thread titles to make searching easier - both for users and search engines.

At present we merely suggest longer titles, but we're considering moving to a slightly stronger rule to ensure the title says a little more than just "Help!" or "Browser problem".

Any suggestions warmly received.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the long weekend!

Simon

Publisher, PC Advisor

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

its the weekend and there are 2 public bank holidays to consider as well

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Wonder how long it will be before the thread title's Help,Help,Help,Help,Help appear. :)

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

They'll probably invoke the 'Amazon Review' rules where you have to use at least 20 words, but repeated words don't count so you have to actually write considerably more than 20.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The complaint that I have is that it was introduced hurriedly, without any announcement and just before a long bank holiday weekend during which it would be difficult to make corrections.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

simonjary, Google gives a much better search of your forums than your search box. If you want to search the forums then search out side of the site quoting pcadvisor+ in a search engine.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I thought tags were intended to improve searching. Why does having 5 words in the title help with that?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

rdave13 and QuizMan

Longer thread titles should give us a more detailed search capability inside the site,and on Google.

Searching for 'Spreadsheet mess!!!!!' is not likely to produce such an accurate return as 'Help needed with Excel formulae'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...