We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to post a new thread

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'm sorry that some of you have experienced problems with starting a new thread - over the past 24 hours or so you may have been confronted with a message telling you that you must use at least five words in your thread title.

This was a new feature that we introduced rather hurriedly, and it hasn't worked as well as we had hoped. For that reason we are going to disable it, and revert to our previous system, at least in the short term. I'm hoping that will happen very soon, but it's a weekend, and that may mean it takes a little longer.

In the meantime, try to use a five-word thread title, and all should be well. Thanks for your patience while we sort this out.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

FE

Perhaps excusing my stupidity, but you last paragraph at 12.08AM, would perhaps convince me that PCA are attempting to go 'upmarket', which might deter the more less advance technical user from contributing?.

I fully agree that perhaps 'Hi' as a title or header doesn't portray a question, but in the end the subscriber's seem to get there, and have done so in the past?.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

spuds

"...in the end the subscriber's seem to get there, and have done so in the past?."

Getting there 'in the end' isn't what we're aiming for - we think it should be easier for people to search our database, and that will happen if thread titles are slightly more descriptive of the subject matter.

Someone doing a Google search for say, a solution to a registry problem with Windows7 is more likely to end up visiting our forum if a thread entitled "Windows 7 registry problem" has been posted, instead of it having the title "AArgh! what's wrong?"

It's not a question of going up-market, but more a matter of making it easier for people to get the help they want, as quickly as possible. It might also have the effect of boosting our forum traffic, and that can only be a good thing - more visitors should mean more registrations.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I see what you mean FE, "AArgh! what's wrong?" is for sound card problems.

Simples..:)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If we all have to stick to an imposed five-word thread title 'regime', then that would sort the men out...from the boys...or words to that effect! On BBC1 TV's 'Homes Under the Hammer' Lucy always addresses any couple as 'Guys'.

I tried that once with my nextdoor female neighbours....mother and daughter...and I got a cold stare.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features