We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Social Network Forum

bremner
Resolved

Likes # 0

Can I suggest that PCA. start a Social Network forum so that posters can discuss their personal, social and medical problems and those who have no interest can ignore that forum.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

"To be perfectly honest I see little difference between what we have already and these calls for a specific Social Forum as I think that is basically what this forum has become."

Agreed.

But no, it is not his site, it is PCA's site, and indeed, th epublishing company'sd site. These facts carry certain implications.

Like this post
ed-0

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

**ed-0 - you said:- The threads and postings that have been removed if any kind of decent is shown. They are removed and therefore do not exist like shopgirl's posting. It was not Shopgirl but Covergirl**

Thank you for pointing out my mistake, unfortunately I could not refer to the thread as it was totally removed by FE. I got both girls mixed up :-)

Apologies to Shopgirl and Covergirl for the mix up.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

ed-0 - it was just to keep the records straight, thanks.

Like this post  
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Sometimes, when I read some of the comments in threads like this I understand why some newspapers publish stories that bear little resemblance to the facts.

One person's sweeping allegation that "Now chit chat between members is construed as meaningless drivel from the hierarchy." Actually turns out to refer to my comment that "there are some things that seem to me to be pointless as far as discussion topics go, and this is one of them."

So, 'pointless' becomes 'meaningless drivel' in someone's imagination, and when asked to point out where 'the heirarchy' had mentioned said drivel he/she still didn't get the point, and referred me to my original statement.

A reference is made to someone being 'dumped' by me, yet I haven't dumped anyone. What actually happened was that I locked a thread, and the person concerned decided to tell everyone that he was leaving the forum because of it. He didn't think to contact me about it, he started another thread. He decided to leave, I didn't ask him to, and having said he wouldn't be posting again he promptly did so. I allowed that thread to run, as I've allowed this one to run, so everyone could vent their feelings on the matter.

The situation as far as I'm concerned is what it has been since the start. I locked a thread because I decided it wasn't appropriate for our forum. That's my job, I'm the Editor of the forum, and I make decisions about content. It's been happening for 11 years. Sometimes people disagree with what I do, but - in the main - they accept that an editor is there to edit. Anyone who has a grievance is perfectly at liberty to contact me via email and put their case, and some people do. In almost all cases we're able to come to an amicable agreement - it's rare for us to fall out.

What I will not accept, under any circumstances, is a system of 'trial by forum', especially when some people can't even get their facts right. I'll discuss a situation with the affected person at any time, but it will happen privately, via email, and not in a public forum thread. It's a personal matter, and in my experience most mature people do not need the forum cavalry to come charging over the hill to their defence, they can fight their own battles.

if you want a forum that's run by the people in it I can point you to any number of them. They are largely populated by a handful of users who spend their time spouting obscenities at anyone who has the temerity to intrude into their private club. It all descends into an anarchic mess, with little happening except separate streams of consciousness being spouted, day in and day out.

That is not going to happen in this forum as long as I have any say in its conduct. We're all capable of something much better, and although we won't always agree on what constitutes 'much better' we've proved we can do it countless times if we try. If you have a thread locked, or a post deleted I put it to you that it isn't the end of the world - this is a web forum for goodness sake. Let the earth take a spin, and carry on posting. The secret to a happy forum life (in any forum) is not to react in haste, and never to close a door that cannot subsequently be opened. 'I'm off, you won't hear from me again' has a distinct air of finality about it, and might be regretted in the cold dawn light.

Apologies for banging on, but I needed to clear the air. I'm not discussing an individual case in the forum.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Has anyone asked for a section run by the members?

Nothing was going to come of whatever request anyway, partly because your are, I believe, employed to be the FE here; you are not merely volunteering.

Still, as I said above, implications.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr

"Can I suggest that PCA. start a Social Network forum"

By implication that would involve maximum input by users and minimum moderation by us. Otherwise it wouldn't be a social network forum.

People who remember 'The Lounge' of yore will know what I mean.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'll back you up on that, FE. You sent me an e-mail which I responded to (It took a month, as I don't check my e-mails very often), and I said I would tone things down a bit and try to not post too often on subjects I don't know anything about (not many...that's a fib).

The poster who was aggrieved will be back.

If you want to lock a thread it's your job to do so.

My name got mentioned in this thread a few times...but I am not SPARTICUS...no, wait a minute, I am aitchBEE.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Just had to reopen the site for unrelated reasons...Do we really have to have a video that starts automatically on the home page?! I thought I was hearing voices.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Joseph Kerr, since I've been a member here FE has always stated that it was a hobby and does it for the 'love' of it (for want of a better word). Why you say otherwise bewilders me. I do think Morwydd's posts were treated rather unfairly but, over the years, I think mine were too. That's another story,but the editor must be doing something right keeping these boards going for a decade and a year, without pay. Mind you, being an IT consultant, mentioning that you moderate an IDG forum might sway a few customers, and quite rightly too.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just replied to a post on a previous page and HB can type much faster than I can... grrr, it's all the 'gardening' I suppose, green fingers and all that....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'