We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Social Network Forum

bremner
Resolved

Likes # 0

Can I suggest that PCA. start a Social Network forum so that posters can discuss their personal, social and medical problems and those who have no interest can ignore that forum.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Looks like I missed the additional comments from about 11.40pm, and hadn't bothered to check before posting my comments, so possible duplications of thoughts?.

Like this post
ed-0

Likes # 0

I invite you to point out where anyone from 'the heirarchy' has mentioned meaningless drivel.

enter link description here

I tried to think of an inoffensive way of asking what on earth this is all about, and I realised it probably couldn't be done. I'm sorry, but there are some things that seem to me to be pointless as far as discussion topics go, and this is one of them.

Something else you've imagined. FE is here,responding to your inaccurate comments.

The threads and postings that have been removed if any kind of decent is shown. They are removed and therefore do not exist like shopgirl's posting.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

morddwyd's first thread had 20 reply's,his 2nd thread had 24 replies.his 3rd thread had 40 replies.

Surely that tells you his thread was fairly popular.You just have to go to the helproom and see how many replies that some of the threads get.Most of them very little.

So when you get a thread that is popular with the Forum members and you don't like it it gets padlocked.There is no bad language,no arguments and basically no problems.

You get other threads that are short tempered and argumentative and they are left open.

Maybe you are padlocking the wrong ones.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

You're right buteman, but its pointless.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 1

I started this thread after seeing yet another "personal thread" had been started. I may be alone in this, but I have no interest in reading about others personal, social or medical issues. At the same time I am frustrated by how many meaningless, inane postings are being made to otherwise sensible threads.

It seemed to me that together this may be why some threads are being locked, something I have to say I welcomed.

I have had, along with many, run ins with the FE over the last ten years. However I respect the way that he has generally managed the forums. I have not come across another forum of similar size so well administered; no bad language and no serious flaming or abuse. I do not recognise much of the criticism of recent days and think it is unjustified.

The suggestion of a Social Networking forum was made facetiously and intended to highlight the direction I believed speakers corner was headed. I remember The Lounge and its demise, it would be very sad if Speakers Corner went that way.

Can I suggest that we all make an effort to get things back on kilter. Can we think, before opening threads and to me, more importantly, refrain from inane, cryptic left field postings, that are made with no thought to other posters and seemingly with no thought to their context in a thread.

Don't get me wrong, I like the jokey, humourous threads that occasionally pop up, I love the Identification threads on Friday nights, I like the cut and thrust of sensible debate. It would be sad if we only talked about computers.

I think that it - Now to start a thread on should hanging be brought back as an annual christmas event for tinned tomato eating, u turn making politicians.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

ed-0 - you said:-

The threads and postings that have been removed if any kind of decent is shown. They are removed and therefore do not exist like shopgirl's posting.

It was not Shopgirl but Covergirl who showed a bit of dissent.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

We have heard about the rules of the forum but sometimes on special occasions the rules have to be broken.

On this occasion I would say yes and open morddwyd's first post and let it run it's course.

It was harmless and he had a dream.

Those folk north of the border had a dream as well but alas it was not to be.

[Video runs on a bit ] And probably it is probably not for those south of the border.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2019112/wehaveadreamscotlandfansnational_anthem/

Although the Scottish dream never came true morddwyd's dream may still have a chance.

So c'mon FE kid on you are the Chancellor and do U-Turn,Not for the sake of the country but for the sake of the Forum.

Let us know that you are not actually a machine and that you may even be human.

I think I have said enough on this subject, when I think something is not quite right I try and fix it but I do not have the power to do so on this occasion.So will just have to let it run it's course and see what happens.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

FE, is it my imagination or have you not locked a thread of your own in the last two years?

I have looked but maybe the forum system might not show administrators threads differently.

From my view the Lounge was very similar to Speakers Corner & as I remember the FE had no intentions of anything like the Lounge returning?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman - can I give you a hug now...or later ;o]

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Some contributions on Speakers Corner are used both on the main site & in the magazines such as the surveys but also other threads such as internet speed etc. Threads such as ‘which web browser do you use' never seem to get locked regardless of how much drivel & ramblings they end up with.

I respond to such threads because it's useful to the magazine, I feel locking the thread on dreams in the way it was done was not on.

With respect the comments by you Peter Thomas were made in public therefore it not beyond logic that they should be discussed in public but I really wonder Peter if you have that in you, either backing down that is & or apologising without a 'but' in the sentence. I have no malice to anyone BTW.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...