We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cookie optout option

N47.

Likes # 0

Anyone used the option at the top of the page labeled cookie options?

I was surprised at the number of tracking cookies the site has. Opted out of 36 but quite a few you cannot opt out of.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I looked at them - thought long and hard ('till the kettle boiled) then had coffee. Did I get my priorities right?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use CCleaner daily, have a couple of ad blockers in "Tools/Safety/Tracking protection" (w7, IE9) and use DNT+ that blocks trackers, so I do not do anything else.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I just tried it again this morning as it didn't seem to do anything yesterday. It showed 4 which I opted out of but DNT was showing 15 it was blocking. Who knows if it will make much difference in the big scheme of things but hopefully it will "do no harm" which is something I do agree with.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Call on this guy he sort them out

going cookie

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

It produces nothing but a blank page.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I just blocked everything!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This is what I'm getting,

"Your browser does not allow third party cookies

It appears that your browser is blocking some or all 3rd Party cookies, which may affect your ability to opt-out of certain companies. Blocking will prevent third parties from setting tracking cookies in your browser, though it will not prevent them from reading previously set cookies. To ensure there are no tracking cookies set you can flush your browser's cookie storage in browser settings.

When you use this opt-out tool, TRUSTe sends your opt-out requests to the companies you selected who place cookies in your browser to save your opt-out preference. If you would like to set opt-out preferences using this tool you must allow cookies in your browser settings."

So I'm blocking the cookie that will block the cookies I'm already blocking. I think.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry to harp on about these cookies as I don't really understand what's going on. I use DNTP and the browser's Tracking protection. So I ran SAS and it came up with Eyewonder cookie. So I went to Eyewonder's site and under their 'privacy' link opted-out of receiving their cookies. This is what shows,

" Users always have the right to control whether or not they wish to receive cookies served by EyeWonder. If a user would like to control the use of EyeWonder cookies for the purpose of serving rich media or targeted advertising, then the user can click on the appropriate Opt-In or Opt-Out link below. Users that have previously opted-out and would like to opt back in to receiving rich media or targeted advertising served by EyeWonder can click on the Opt-In link below.

You are currently Opted-Out"

So far so good. I then removed the cookies via SAS. Browsed a bit more on the forum and then ran SAS again and back came Eyewonder's cookies. Went back to the site and I was still shown as opted-out.

I can understand that if I has closed the browser and re-opened it, or even rebooted, these cookies would have been back but it seems opting-out doesn't mean much if the cookies are still present.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

I still get a blank page.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Deleted quarantine in SAS and now no cookies showing. Possibly a SAS problem or it takes longer to opt-out rather than the default opt-in.

VCR97, puzzled why the page is blank in your browser.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia