We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Pastures New

morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think the time has come to seek pastures new. I am not a great believer in the grand good bye, but I have made too many friends here to want to disappear without a word.

I have been fairly relaxed about having threads locked in the past but to have a lighthearted, totally inoffensive thread locked (Leverkusen) because it is "pointless" has convinced me that the forum is moving in a direction I don't want to go and it is time to move on.

Life's too short to worrry about whether the thread I am about to start has a point or is just a bit of meandering for fun.

There is nothing in the forum rules about threads having to have a point, and any such rule would be difficult to deduce from some of the threads, or individual postings, we have seen!

However, there is something in the rules about the Forum Editor's decision being final, and as Peter says, there is no way of doing it inoffensively, and that is just how I have found it, offensive, and since there there is no appeal I shall go.

Thank you all for your company,your help and your support when I have needed it over the last few years.

I shall miss each and every one of you.

I wish you all the best in the future, perhaps our paths will cross agin elswewhere.

I shal still be lurking, particularly in the Helptoom where my posts might have some point, and around 9.15 on a Friday night for another lighthearted diversion, but rather than give, or take, further offemce I think I must knock it on the head.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Sorry to hear you feel that way but totally understand where you are coming from. I think a lot of members do not post because of the editorial policy.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

morddwyd

You appear to be saying that you are leaving the forum for Pasture New, yet are still remaining. So can I assume that your comments are a 'getting it off the chest' moment. Something that I for certain and perhaps other's go through from time to time ?.

I fully understand your sentiments and comments, and have on occasions aired my own personal views (as you may have well seen?) as to the way the forum is heading, but alas to very little avail, except to receive ridicule and 'put-downs' from certain regulars, which to me is not what a discussion or debate forum is about. Whether this is through pure arrogance or ignorance, that someone as to be right, I would't really know or possibly understand. We all have our own differences, so there is no point in my view, of one or more person's insisting that they are always right, and perhaps demand higher discussion or debating standards from other's who just want to contribute and offer there own thoughts on a subject raised.

But that is my own opinion, which no doubt will bring further comment that I am wrong, as it isn't personal, but at times it can clearly come across as being very personal. But taking into consideration, my lifespan on this world is getting shorter, so my more relaxed attitude might contribute to "so why worry, everyone to their own I suppose, and while perhaps not accepting it, just having to allow for it?".

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

If you are intending not posting any more, then that is sad, laurie (if I may be so bold!!).

Best wishes.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I would suggest going 'Cold Turkey', it's the only to break an addiction!

Like this post
dagbladet

Likes # 1

I often think of Speakers Corner as a pub. As the day wears on various people come and go. The quietish ones, the opinionated ones, the old duffers reminiscing. Conversations will take place on a huge variety of subjects, some will be of great substance, others will have little relevance or interest to the wider audience but harmlessly pass the time to those at that particular table. Should things get heated or language too earthy the landlord will have a word and calm things down. I have however never in 30 years of visiting a variety of pubs of all types heard a landlord say "you can't talk about that because it's pointless".

FE, whilst you may well feel to be 'within your right' to lock the thread you have, in my opinion, acted unreasonably and frankly your statements on closing the thread come across as pompous and arrogant.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd...it's just a hiccup...you are a great poster. I get knock-backs from FE as well (most of them justified)...so give it a coupla' days...and reconsider.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Been thinking of doing the same, for the same reasons. S'pose I'll be in 'bad books' now. Life's too short and, for me, some of the forum neighbourhood's going to pot. If we'd still had the PM email I would have been able to tell you where I've started going.

I was enjoying your lighthearted thread that got locked.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I just had a look at your thread and found it to be unoffensive and harmless.I think we all have dreams that we remember and like to get of out chests.

To be fair the FE has locked a few threads in the past for the same reason,So maybe not take it to heart thinking that he was picking on you.

It certainly brought back a few memories from others that have been in that area.

I remember someone else who said I had a Dream, but the Public listened to him.

I almost had my thread blocked yesterday but it was a lot more controversial.

If it was blocked I would just have carried on using the Forum because maybe I had overstepped the mark and rules are rules.

Just stay with us till your frustration melts away, and always remember to smile and give your face a Holiday.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I was also disappointed your recent post was stopped for no apparent reason.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I was going to open a new thread about Hair.Whether it grows as quick in the winter than it does in the summer.

Needless to say after your thread I won't be posting it anymore.

It may have been Hair today and gone tomorrow.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...