We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Whats happened to MoT certificates?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

The old runabout passed its MoT today. Afterwards, the tester handed me a couple of sheets of very cheap A4 paper with plain black printing that came out of his inkjet printer. I barely gave them a glance, one was my smoke test, the other was something with writing on that I barely glanced at. When I asked where my certificate was I was informed it was the other sheet! The old green sheets with the handy peel off date reminder are now a thing of the past. (BTW, I always used to stick the reminders on the back of the tax disc holder so they werent a permanant addition to the vehicle).

Almost certainly a cost saving measure, but it seems to me that these new sheets are going to be childs play to forge, with anyone able to knock a convincing replica out. Yes, I know they will not fool the authorities, who will merely consult a database, but I'm concerned about the cowboy 'side of the road' car traders. I think its making fraud a whole lot easier for them.

Or am I being unduly alarmed?

WTM

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

A few years ago,there was a piece in thel local paper about New laws the council had to restrict roadside car sales after scores of complaints about the hundreds of vehicles filling verges,laybys and pavements on the main road through the area. For a while,the laws worked but slowly the numbers escalated though not to previous levels. I think the residents are now taking their own action against the vehicles as I often read of damage done to them.

The new style of MOT is a gift to the roadside traders,and I would advise anyone buying a vehicle in this way to thoroughly check the paperwork authenticity.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

the plain paper ws a point of discussion with my service man earlier -he does not like them either- we also noticed that tester made comments like 'Could not check that bit because if being obscured by a cover' what sort of test is that? On the issue of tax -insurace- mot- it is a chain- tax cannot be issued unless the other two are in place so stickers and badges are superflous- number plates are another issue- scrap car registration Register and plate the driver- then we will know who are the bad boys- they will be driving caround with no plates on view

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

the plain paper ws a point of discussion with my service man earlier -he does not like them either- we also noticed that tester made comments like 'Could not check that bit because if being obscured by a cover' what sort of test is that? On the issue of tax -insurace- mot- it is a chain- tax cannot be issued unless the other two are in place so stickers and badges are superflous- number plates are another issue- scrap car registration Register and plate the driver- then we will know who are the bad boys- they will be driving caround with no plates on view

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

The new style of MOT is a gift to the roadside traders,and I would advise anyone buying a vehicle in this way to thoroughly check the paperwork authenticity

My point exactly.

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Regarding the point I made earlier about replacement logbooks. When the DVLA issue the new logbook, they also inform you about 'buyer beware' and offer this link http://www.direct.gov.uk/buyerbeware for further information.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

SparkyJack

regarding engine covers undertrays etc

As a tester vosa expect us to complete a test without any dismantling of components, should there be any critical components (ie power steering pipes, brake pipes) hidden we're unable to see them and thus pass a judgement, it's also a way to cover my bum.

The same applies to an advisory on child seat fitted we're not allowed to unlock/latch seat belts where a child seat is fitted. Who would be responsible should the seat fail in use? If I don't touch it, I cannot refit it incorrectly.

There are more and more vehicles with these type of covers fitted nowadays, mercedes are absolute beggars for hiding everything behind panels. To remove some of these panels could take in excess of 30 minutes. (Mercedes A class rear is a case in point)

To cover the removal and replacement of these panels the cost of the mot would have to rise, if you don't have a car with these panels would you be happy to pay more because someone else's car does ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite