We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Whats happened to MoT certificates?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

The old runabout passed its MoT today. Afterwards, the tester handed me a couple of sheets of very cheap A4 paper with plain black printing that came out of his inkjet printer. I barely gave them a glance, one was my smoke test, the other was something with writing on that I barely glanced at. When I asked where my certificate was I was informed it was the other sheet! The old green sheets with the handy peel off date reminder are now a thing of the past. (BTW, I always used to stick the reminders on the back of the tax disc holder so they werent a permanant addition to the vehicle).

Almost certainly a cost saving measure, but it seems to me that these new sheets are going to be childs play to forge, with anyone able to knock a convincing replica out. Yes, I know they will not fool the authorities, who will merely consult a database, but I'm concerned about the cowboy 'side of the road' car traders. I think its making fraud a whole lot easier for them.

Or am I being unduly alarmed?

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The 'new style' documents have been out some time now. Even some of the MOT stations and tester's don't like them!.

Wait till you get the replacement 'red' logbook, which is a replacement for the old 'blue' logbook. Apparently the DVLA are having to send out 'red' replacement's, due to a large batch of 'blues' going missing, and the DVLA are concerned about forgeries?.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I've had the plain bit of paper for a couple of years now as everything is now automatically sent on line to Cardiff. I'm not entirely clear how well it goes down when selling a car and it would seem sensible to check with Cardiff before buying to ensure what you are buying actually has an MOT.

I like the system in Eire where cars have to display a disk like our tax disk which tells you that the car is taxed and MOT'd as well as insured. Surely something like this would help get the uninsured off the roads and also stop the use of faulty cars or am I just dreaming.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Hopefully it will one day be illegal to sell cars on the roadside, Morecambe seafront is awash with cars with for sale notices in the window.

As for MOTs, I've had an A4 printed one for about 4 years now...

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

Following the changeover to plain paper printing, I find I'm having to issue many more duplicate documents, prior to the changeover I'd perhaps have to print about 5 a year. In the initial 2 mths following the changeover I'd already issued that many. Now every pass I issue is handed to the customer in an A4 punched pocket sleeve.

We're not allowed to personalize the mot certificates in any way, not even an inkstamp on the reverse.

The fraud issue had been voiced by the trade before the changeover, but yup the response was, "it's only a receipt for what is held on the database".

There is one good thing about the new style certificate tho, the advisories are now listed on the pass certificate, no longer will a vehicle that has only just scraped through be passed off as being pristine and good for many more years.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Other than selling the vehicle to a private buyer, any trade dealer or traffic agency already knows whether or not there is a valid MOT on a vehicle. A till roll receipt might as well replace the tree wasting A4 sheet:)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I like the system in Eire where cars have to display a disk like our tax disk which tells you that the car is taxed and MOT'd as well as insured. "

Similar system in Germany, where the tax "certificate" is actually on the numberplate.

Even better is when the police find one that is out of date they simply take the numberplates off.

No pratting about trying to trace the driver/owner. First time they try to use the car it stands out like a sore thumb, so they virtually trace themselves!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have noticed that in the USA most states seem to do a similar thing on number plates but I don't know if the Police react in the same way. Seems like a very sensible idea to me. I'm sure our police have room for a screwdriver on the batman belts they all seem to wear these days :-)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

Selling vehicles on a public highway or land is illegal, providing the local council want to act on it, and have the bye-laws to cover it. They have the powers to do so, including pavement obstructions. But the problem is, that most council's, even though they were supplied with government guidelines last year, have chosen not to do much about it, because of 'supposed' lack of resources or funding?.

My local council warden's are very quick in responding to complaints of this nature, and their success rate is fairly good, in geting the vehicles removed.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

It's illegal for a trader to sell a car on the side of the road, but private sales are legal.

What happens is that a trader simply sells the car claiming it's a private sale, as his name will be the last one in the log book. That way they gain several benefits

1) they don't have to provide any kind of warranty

2) if they're lucky they don't have to pay VAT

3) no premises to pay for

4) they'll be incredibly difficult to find if anything goes wrong with the car

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

As I stated earlier, selling vehicles on the public highway or public spaces and property are now deemed an illegal act (in sorts?), and can be removed or action taken against the seller, whether the seller is private or trade.

Last years government guidelines made this clear to the council's. It also made it clear that council's now have powers or already had powers within local bye-laws to deal with vehicle pavement obstructions. This use to be solely a police matter, but it is not the case now, unless the local council's decide not to take action, and leave it still for the police or PCSO's to deal with.

Obstruction or pavement parking in my area ( and it should be no different elsewhere?) is usually classed as 'Unnecessary Obstruction' if a pram - buggy or mobility scooter cannot gain easy or straight access because a vehicle is blocking the access route. Or similar acts deemed as 'Unnecessary Obstruction'. But as I previously stated, funding for doing the job is the stumbling block (apparently)?.

My information was obtained from my local council (who have decided to ignore the government guidelines on pavement obstruction, due to funding, but are acting on vehicle selling, using 'abandoned vehicles' and the laws around that as a motive or incentive for removal). I also went a little step further and contacted the government department responsible for sending out the guidelines. Their response at the present time, is that they are leaving council's to make their own decisions as to what action they intend taking on the guidelines laid down?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......