We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Don't fill your vehicle with fuel

WhiteTruckMan
Resolved

Likes # 0

Might be a bit late, but with the hot weather we are having, I thought I would tell people not to fill their cars to the brim with fuel. This warning is prompted by last nights site of a night trunker coming in to work, checking the fuel cap on his tractor and getting showered in diesel. The last time he finished, he filled up for the next driver (as is normal), parked up and went home. By an odd set of circumstances, his vehicle wasnt used yesterday, so his fuel tank was in the hot sun all day, heating up and pressurising the tank as the fuel expands. And 600 litres produces a lot of expansion. such that when he checked his cap it came showering out. On him.

The obvious lesson here is that if you do this with your car, then although you probably wont get showered, cars have plastic tanks and fillers, so the chances of a rupture are that much greater. And in this heat thats a lot of dangerous fumes for the unwary. (diesel is safer as I think its flashpoint, the temperature at which it starts to give off flammable vapours, is around 60 degrees, from memory). Plus fuel is too expensive to waste.

So if you simply have to top it off, please do it just at the start of a long journey.

WTM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

bremner

Ever hear of murphy's law?

WTM

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

WTM "..murphy's law"

If we all lived our lives in fear of 'Murphy' then we would never go out of the house - no, wait a minute, even there, the roof might fall in, or the cooker could explode......

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It would appear that this is another one of those threads that someone is trying to offer some pointers or possible advice, and being ridiculed for doing so?.

In an earlier post, I mentioned that the fire service tend to mount a car onto a steeper angle, so that the fuel cap is at an higher point, if there is any form of leakage from a fuel tank, and especially from the fuel cap area. I suppose this is a practice that they have learned from previous experiences?.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

spuds

Nobody is ridiculing anyone, some of us are just saying that it's not really an issue for your normal car driver, and if it had been then there would surely have been loads of publicity about it over previous years if such events had happened.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I am certainly not ridiculing what could be good advice for some - just making the point that the issue is not really one that affects modern cars.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten