We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why Are they not in prison?

Condom

Likes # 0

Can anyone explain to me why a certain couple are able to walk to and from a court room where they are being tried for murder. I wonder why they are not in prison like most people being tried for this sort of crime. And I'm not even going to ask if they can still vote.

Like this post
bob.

Likes # 0

Perhaps your father should have used one.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I ask a perfectly straightforward question and I get an idiot like you to answer.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps in the case you are referring: Innocent until proven guilty?.

There are many cases were some people are free to roam about, and that includes some who have been found guilty and are awaiting the judge's decision!.

Bail conditions are possibly another issue, that might apply in some cases!.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Not being certain as to their identity,there can be many reasons why people are not jailed during their trial(main one being innocent until proven guilty)If the prosecutions case isn't a very strong one,there's a risk that this couple (on being found innocent) could sue for wrongful arrest etc.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

It depends on the court if they consider them a flight risk or not and then put them on police bail. You might find they have other restrictions imposed on them to restrict their movements as part of the bail. I think innocent till proven guilty still operates in this country.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

This couple have been granted bail, so they're free to go home at night. There will normally be conditions to this bail imposing curfews etc.

Many murder defendants are given such bail, as it is very expensive keeping people on remand, more expensive in fact that keeping them in jail.

Bail will be approved if the defendants are not consider a danger to the general public, which is the case here as the murder in question was not a random act of violence.

If found guilty, the couple will have to serve the whole sentence (less any time off for "good behaviour"), as they will not be deducted any time served on remand, because they've not sent any time on remand

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Thankk for your comments. I am a believer in innocent until proven otherwise but I was not aware that murder suspects were so often out on bail.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Condom

When I was involved with the UK court's, it wasn't unusual for a person turning up with the 'worldly' goods, expecting to be given a custodial sentence, and then informed to come back in a month or two's time, after the judge had made a decision.

There was also the cases when people turned up, and were 'sent down', but hadn't bothered to bring their 'worldly' goods. They were usually the one's who said that the police and court's had it in for them, and it was all a misunderstanding!.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I wonder why they are not in prison like most people being tried for this sort of crime."

I don't know where you got that idea from. Lots of people accused of murder are granted bail. They'll be bailed unless the prosecution convinces a court that there's a real risk they will abscond before the trial date, or that they are likely to commit further offences if free to walk the streets pending trial.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

alan14

I just noticed that you said much the same thing earlier - my apologies for the duplication.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......